Ultimate Subaru Message Board

87 woes

I have an 87 subaru GL 1.8L all wheel drive, manual. The car has 140,000 miles and ran like a champ. I was driving on the free way when the car suddenly lost power, I could barely make it up hills, and oil pressure. I put more oil in and made it home. The car will expundge all of the oil out through the exhaust in a matter of minutes, maybe 10. It runs almost perfect when it is full of oil. I have been told by some that this means there is probably a crack in the head gaskets or blown rings. I am going to tear into it and try and find the exact problem before I part with her. If anyone could refer me to a post that explains what I will be getting myself into or give me the run down themselves it would be appreciated.

PCV valve eh, That is on the top of my list for things to try. Would anyone suggest having the car professionally dianosed before I dig into it. Also if there are any other ideas I would love to hear becuase I am going to start goin into it soon.

You can't loose that much oil in that amount of time with bad rings. Try changing the PCV valve.

Thats one of the great things about this board, so you don't have to go somewhere to get it diagnosed :) . There's lots of people here who can help ya get it figured out, as long as you can put in the time and elbow grease. Tear into her!

I have thought of a few more things to add that I didn't before. There is oil in the air filter, a good ammount. This leak happened in one instant and never leaked close to this much at all. The spark plugs were not fouled up with oil, but were with gas, due to my brother trying to move it when I had fuses out, luckily there was oil in it when he did this. ALso where is the PCV valve located, I have never worked on foreign engines, mostly just international trucks.