Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Dipstick is missing the o-ring

I noticed the tranny dipstick is loose in the tube. All that holds it in place is gravity. When I remove it, there is no O-ring on it. I am assuming that there is supposed to be an O-ring to secure it into the tube and to seal it.

Can I go to the hardware store and get an O-ring to slide onto the dipstick or do I need a special high-temperature O-ring? I've seen Neoprene, silicon, and teflon o-rings and wonder which is appropriate.

I suspect if I go to the dealer that they'll want me to buy the whole damn dipstick.

But that's why I was asking, to see if anyone knew if neoprene (which is used for the "rubber" o-rings), silicon (which often is rated for high temperatures in some compounds), or teflon (which is even used in frying pans) would be best for both temperature and the particular application (which has the o-ring seal against oil leakage).

I don't know what happened to the old O-ring so hopefully it fell off when some mechanic had it out and it didn't come of inside to possible get into the works. I'll be getting a complete fluid flush later and am working on other repairs for now.

I figure the most common O-ring material would be neoprene and that is what the hardware store would have. Just wondering if that's okay.

I was working on the car last night (before the tornadoes hit our area) and saw that the O-ring was actually still on the dipstick. So I didn't lose the O-ring but the dipstick feels loose in the tube. It takes very little force to pull the dipstick up and out of the tube, and when putting it back it the feel is very minimal that it is pressing against anything to provide a seal. There are no lube stains around the tube to show that any fluid has been splashing or leaking past the dipstick, but it just feels so weak for providing a seal.

The O-ring doesn't protrude much from the dipstick body. Do these things shrink over time?

I was working on the car last night (before the tornadoes hit our area) and saw that the O-ring was actually still on the dipstick. So I didn't lose the O-ring but the dipstick feels loose in the tube. It takes very little force to pull the dipstick up and out of the tube, and when putting it back it the feel is very minimal that it is pressing against anything to provide a seal. There are no lube stains around the tube to show that any fluid has been splashing or leaking past the dipstick, but it just feels so weak for providing a seal.

The O-ring doesn't protrude much from the dipstick body. Do these things shrink over time?

Same thing on my 97 OB some years ago. It wasn't "loose" like you are describing, but it wasn't as snug as I thought it should be. There was an obvious 'flat' on the OD of the ring.

I searched for a replacement at Home Depot etc. Most were too heavy. It made it very hard to insert and remove the dipstick. I ended up buying it from the dealer. Very little $, just had to wait for it to come in. I replaced the ones on the other dipsticks while I was at it.

Commuter

Home depot has rubber O rings, so does most hardware stores. If you go to a really good autoparts store (read mom and pop) they may have it. You need one that can live in the harsh enviorment under the hood.

Joe

Went ot Home Depot. They had a grand total of 11 O-rings LOL.

Go to your local Ace Hardware/independent hardware etc. They have a 100 sizes or more! Certainly have had all the O-rings I have needed over the years.