Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Could use some advice on struts!

Hey everyone...I havent had to post here in awhile because Ive been having good luck with my car...But now..the inevitable...I need to fix my strut assembly..

I know this for sure, because the stut is no longer attached to the car, and you can see the top of the strut poking through into the car (near the speaker)

Probably not to safe to drive..but I have no choice...

and to explain..I live in the middle of nowhere..all the roads around me for 20 miles are dirt roads..and I am not gentle on my wonderful subaru!!

ok..to the point..

I need to fix that as soon as I can...I am in the process of getting a strut assemebly from the local junkyard...What I need to know..Is how to install it..From what I can see..it seems to be 2 lower nuts that need to be loosened, and the 3 nuts at the top of the mounting plate...Then replace strut, put throw 3 holes and tighten down...and then tighten 2 bolts at the bottom.??

Is it that easy...and if not...what else is involved! thanks for listening!

and any advice would be great...Im going with the smoke a bone, undue a few bolts and see what happens theory! :)

have a great day!

Chris

Sounds like you need the strut top, and not the actual strut. This thing is probably ripped apart if the strut tube is pushed through the speaker cover.

I assume you have a wagon? Maybe take off the speaker cover and take a look.

This is what a strut top looks like:

gnrear2.jpg

This is how the strut assembly goes together (obviously the spring is missing):

dsc021072ep.jpg

dsc021082mx.jpg

dsc021106mn.jpg

This is what you probably need, the top and spring perch:

dsc021115mn.jpg

And no, you can't drive like that. You're basically driving without a strut.

You'll need a jack, some jackstands, a few wrenches, and a spring compressor to change this stuff. Your strut and spring *might* still be useable. If you were to take the whole assembly out of another car, it would just bolt right in, and you wouldn't need a spring compressor, either.