Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Better gas mileage from ECU reset???? 1st post

Hey, first time posting here... I just bought my first (and probably not last) Subaru last night. I picked up a 2000 Outback 5 speed wiht 98k miles for $8k. Hopefully i got a good deal! I love the damn thing... It handles as well as my fathers corvette.

I did a bit of research on them before i bought it of course, and found that they are supposed to get 22-27 mpg. The owner of this car said he get's about 20-25mpg (city/freeway of course). I have also read about someone getting 30-35 with a 2000 Impreza outback sport (i realize this is a slightly? different car than mine) but then his ECU being reset (by his battery being unhooked) and his fuel economy being dropped down to 20-25... so I'm curious if resetting my ECU (batter cable disconnect i assume?) and then driving it very conservatively for the first (how long should i?) could get the ecu to use a more efficient setting.

Hopefully this makes sense? My knowlede in the workings of cars is limited to say the least, this is all just things i've learned in the last 12 hours...

thoughts?

i find it unlikely that will make a difference. if it's that easy then it's worth a try. go do it and post back here what you find out. there are lots of posts (wishing it was higher) on here about MPG, so i think that's a typical thing people wonder about. you could use the search button and search for MPG or gas mileage or something and find out alot from other posts about the same topic.

the consensus i see on these posts is to drive conservatively, light on the gas pedal and not over 65 for best gas mileage. having the car in top shape helps as well - ignition components and tire pressure particularly.

i picked up a 97 OBS this year and it doesn't get as good as i suspected either. like i've mentioned over and over in my other posts, my 15 year old subaru XT6 with 6 cylinders, AWD and 200,000 miles (as well as my other 5 XT6's) gets better mileage than my OBS and is much less picky about highway speed.

thanks for the reply... i'm going to drive it for a couple weeks and see what I get for mpg... My mom has the exact same car (only white) and she get's 27 pretty much everytime... and it's a mix of city/freeway

think the price i paid was a good price? the Tranny was replaced and has 60k miles on it

Hey, first time posting here... I just bought my first (and probably not last) Subaru last night. I picked up a 2000 Outback 5 speed wiht 98k miles for $8k.

#1.) Have yet to hear of anyone getting better MPG from resetting ECU.

#2.) You are buying a vehicle with 98 thousand miles.

- Therefore, I hope you bartered shrewdly.

- IF, and I doubt it, but IF you got a Subie from a person who stayed up on the maintenance, you may luck out on the mandatory $500-$1,000 worth of maintenance.

- In order for you to have a realistic shot at 28+ MPG, you will need to replace the following

Air Filter (subjective), Fuel Filter (recommend one can of BG 44K on a quarter tank prior to oil and fuel filter change, Plugs (hope you don't have a 2.5 DOHC :banghead: ), Wires, Mass air flow sensor (may not need to purchase. Can be cleaned with BG 402), and my new personal favorite, and largest GAS guzzler, the o2 Sensors. As I recently discovered, o2 sensors EASILY cost 3+ MPG and anywhere from $180-$500 depending on how cheap and mechanically inclined you are.

Oh, I'm sure that we're an hour or so away from the obvious, so I'll just point it out now. Tire pressure. Ethanol gas.

Lastly, enjoy your new car. After the neccessary maintenance items, I can just about guarantee that you will not even recognize the car you fell in love with. Set the pedestal high. And if I were doing it again, I would start with the o2 sensors and go from there (other than cheap items like the air filter, fuel filter, and plugs).:grin:

P.S.

Easy diagnostic on the o2 sensors, if you are bogging down and shuddering on the low end, but dissappears with higher RPM's... Most likely o2. If you get bogging all over, fuel issue. But, if you can idle INSIDE an OPEN garage for about 20-40 seconds, shut off, get out and smell gas... You prolly need some new o2 sensors.

Also, some people around here are under the impression that only replacing the front o2 sensor will quell your probs... They are mistaken. I tested that theory on a couple of tanks of gas. Save your self the time, $$$, and trouble and do both at once. OEM ONLY FOR THE REAR.

#1.)

Lastly, enjoy your new car. After the neccessary maintenance items, I can just about guarantee that you will not even recognize the car you fell in love with.

I'm not sure i understand this statement... it sounds almost like you're saying i'm going to end up hating my car???

in response to your statements, and by no means am I trying to argue or state my superior knowledge (which it isn't!)

#1. While i haven't heard of anyone getting BETTER gas mileage from it, I HAVE heard of someone getting worse mileage after it reset (almost 10mpg worse) And i have had it recommended to me to try it... can't hurt can it? besides having to reset my clock!

#2. 98,000 miles yes... 60k on the transmission and clutch.

Just curious, how long do subarus usually last and whats the first to go on them?

I paid $8000 and it came with traction tires (no rims) and a pet barrier (woo hoo!). That's $1700 off blue book for private party in GOOD condition... which it is, a couple small dings in the paint here and there...

The people were very very good about maintainence... they have all the receipts from everything done on it.

As far as hitting 28mpg, that may be so, but my mom has the identical car (only white) and she get's 27mpg almost everytime she checks... and that's a combination of city/highway a pretty even mix of both.

And i know she didn't replace all of that stuff. Thank you though for your time to reply.

I am going to drive it for a month or so, and then reset my ecu and drive it like a grandma and see how the fuel economy changes...

2000 Legacy GT Auto (no pet barrier) The numbers I get fairly consistently are in the 22 mpg range. The ECU has had numerous battery disconnects to reset and never changed anything other than my radio preset stations. BTW, the computer was flashed for the latest update and no change in mpg either. Hope you enjoy your new car and if 8K is what you thought was a good deal then it was a good deal for you!:banana:

I'm not sure i understand this statement... it sounds almost like you're saying i'm going to end up hating my car???

in response to your statements, and by no means am I trying to argue or state my superior knowledge (which it isn't!)

#1. While i haven't heard of anyone getting BETTER gas mileage from it, I HAVE heard of someone getting worse mileage after it reset (almost 10mpg worse) And i have had it recommended to me to try it... can't hurt can it? besides having to reset my clock!

#2. 98,000 miles yes... 60k on the transmission and clutch.

Just curious, how long do subarus usually last and whats the first to go on them?

I paid $8000 and it came with traction tires (no rims) and a pet barrier (woo hoo!). That's $1700 off blue book for private party in GOOD condition... which it is, a couple small dings in the paint here and there...

The people were very very good about maintainence... they have all the receipts from everything done on it.

As far as hitting 28mpg, that may be so, but my mom has the identical car (only white) and she get's 27mpg almost everytime she checks... and that's a combination of city/highway a pretty even mix of both.

And i know she didn't replace all of that stuff. Thank you though for your time to reply.

I am going to drive it for a month or so, and then reset my ecu and drive it like a grandma and see how the fuel economy changes...

By NO means am I inferring that you will end up hating your car. :lol: That's some funny ************ man! The intended sentiment was; If you think you love that thing now, wait until you clean it up a bit. Can run like brand new. :banana:

Example: Since purchasing I have seen ridiculously good mileage, as well as poor (Result of trying to clean o2 sensor with BG 402. Good on MAF, not so good on o2). Going to New Mexico through the Cuchara mountains, I maintained 80+ and saw 428 Miles on the tank and still had 1.3 gallons left in the tank (Pure highway). As of this moment I am at 284 Miles and am at 1/4 tank. (Split)

In response to your questions:

#1) ECU reset is a MUST after replacing MANY parts. The easiest way to achieve this is to disconnect the wire from the negative terminal of your battery and depress your break pedal for 5-10 seconds. After resetting and fastening the clamp, drive it like you normally would. (Should have mentioned that you will have the best results doing this after the car is fully warmed up).

Your Subie will last you forever if properly maintained. I know people who have seen upwards of 260,000 Miles with the A/T.

Given the mileage, I would say that you're due up for a timing belt shortly, (unless recently replaced). I think they call for it around 100,000 miles.

Lastly, I can appreciate the fact that you are "fuel-conscious", but what's the point of having this kickass car that handles like nobody's business if you're just gonna drive it like a pansy? I honestly haven't ever noticed a difference in fuel consumption from driving fast or not.

That's great that you found a seller who was not only good on maintenance, but could furnish proof. Congrats on the new ride. Enjoy the winter months. Snowboarding season is probably a month or so out.:slobber::banana::banana: