Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hi! battery disconect and cel light

Hi! i´m from Spain, and i just buy a legacy 2.2 1997, all Ok. But when give me the car, the positive cable of the battery isn´t tighten, and one day later i see this problem, because the car go off...

the problem is that the check engine light goes on when i running some miles, and goes off 2-10 minutes later. the engine and car is all ok.

Can be a resset problem, or sounds more a MAF problem.

Sorry for my english, and regards. :)

Welcome, centrino. I think you should check the ECU for stored codes before you do anything else, You'll need to use an OBDII scanner or go to a shop that has one. Otherwise you might be spending a lot of money on parts that you may not even need.

And don't worry about your English--you're doing just as well as the rest of us!

Good luck.

Well, connecting the ecu, the problem is "temperature of motor" and "slow motion" that says the mechanic, the mechanic says that it did not remember the code numbers... The mechanic says that it is not connector OBDII in my 1997 legacy, say that it have a special conector for subaru... I do not understand anything...

And finally the mechanic says that is not relevant... and i have to pay 30 euros for this.... i am thinking to buy a OBDII. :banghead:

This night i disconnect the batery all night, i hope this resolve my problem... :confused::rolleyes:

Hi - on my 97 Legacy Outback the OBDII connector is behind a cover low in the dashboard, below the steering wheel, near the driver's door. This is a US car, but should be in the same place if Subaru equipped all cars with this diagnostic plug...

good luck

Thanks very much, why is important run the engine (with the car stopped) for 15 minutes? when i connect this morning i drive 10 minutes to work and all OK.

Thanks again! :)

It gives the computer time to check all sensors and tunes itself again. Then when you drive it, the computer starts to learn your driving pattern.