Ultimate Subaru Message Board

subaru outback engine timing help needed.

my dads car (a 98 subaru outback) started overheating, and after a few things I daignosed it as a bad headgasget.

so in the process of replacing one (I am going to do the other too) I have messed up the cam positions.

I believed I had it figured it out, there is a mark on the front pulley (the one on the gear it hooks to) lines up with the other mark so that it is pointing straight up, and the the single lines on the cam gears match the marks on the back of its cover, the doubble lines meet each other between the gears.

the problem is when the mark on the pulley if pointing up the number one piston (front passenger side one) it not a top dead center, when I put the piston to tdc, the mark is about 90 degrees to the passenger side.

what have I gotten wrong?

my dads car (a 98 subaru outback) started overheating, and after a few things I daignosed it as a bad headgasget.

so in the process of replacing one (I am going to do the other too) I have messed up the cam positions.

I believed I had it figured it out, there is a mark on the front pulley (the one on the gear it hooks to) lines up with the other mark so that it is pointing straight up, and the the single lines on the cam gears match the marks on the back of its cover, the doubble lines meet each other between the gears.

the problem is when the mark on the pulley if pointing up the number one piston (front passenger side one) it not a top dead center, when I put the piston to tdc, the mark is about 90 degrees to the passenger side.

what have I gotten wrong?

Line up #1 Piston at TDC REGARDLESS of crank pulley position.(verify with removed head) THEN, set up cam pulleys to the timing marks. as long as the piston is at TDC, If you set up the cam pulleys to the marks, the engine will run.

Working with SBC's, I usually verify the piston is at TDC visually, before lining up cam marks. I've seen timing chains have the marks machined wrong, and setting them up to those marks opens a world of problems.

REMEMBER...TDC happens 2X EVERY cam rotation. TDC on Compression, and TDC on exhaust. IF you set up TDC on the exhaust stroke, THEN turn cams 1/2 turn,WITHOUT turning Crank, you will be at TDC on Compression.

as for how your problem happened, I have no clue..:)

The crank has a gear on it. On it, the key is exposed. Point that down and a mark will show that lines up with the ear of the crank position sensor holder on the oil pump. Now point all 4 cam gears so the double marks match each other, and the single marks are up on the intake cam gears and OUT at the exhaust cam gears.

The belt is then installed with the SUBARU name readable and not upside down, then the dotted line on the crank and the 4 solid lines on the cam gear where the single marks are at.