Ultimate Subaru Message Board

HELP with Milage 97 Legacy GT

1) Check tire pres. I use 38 in my Outback. It's higher than recommended but a good trade off for me.

2) Driving style: smooth (slow) acceleration and less brakes (no tailgating), drive the speed limit (less aerodynamic drag).

3) Clean filters all around (air and fuel).

4) Wash car (less wind resistance).

Hope this helps, BTW my 97 OBW gets 23 in town 27 HWY, but I drive like an old lady when on the pavement.

Ryan

Sorry if this has been posted here before, but I found this on Edmunds.com:

http://www.edmunds.com/ownership/driving/articles/106842/article.html

It's an article where they test a few gas-saving tips, found it interesting.

What speed are you going on the highway? Ours do best at 55 (around 30 mpg for the TS and 28 for the OB) and drop slightly as you go up from there.

Do you have ethanol in your fuel? That can reduce mileage too. We don't have it out here but I know it's big in the midwest.

Steve

a generic "tune up" is the best thing to do. spark plugs, ignition wires, air cleaner and verifying your tire pressure is good. a few pounds over that listed on the tag (usually stamped on the drivers door) is best, those ratings are low and more comfort based than anything else. i add about 4 psi to mine for better mileage and tire wear. i got a couple mpg increase in highway mileage on my 2.2 liter 1997 OBS this summer after i did a brake job. maybe the old brakes were dragging? but i can't imagine that's a very common thing, i've never had this problem on my late 80's XT6's with 200,000 + miles.