Ultimate Subaru Message Board

life of original potenzas?

i bought my 03 OBS with 42k on it and now i'm almost at 52k (all in about 6 months, damn...). it still has the original potenzas. i've read the posts about which brands are good/recommended, but i have yet to see anything about how long the original tires last and/or when they should be replaced. i know some say replace them immediately because they're junk, but that wasn't really an option. but now i'm faced with winter coming. i prefer not to have to buy snow tires and regular tires since winters are hit or miss here (southern new england), but i do venture north for skiing. so are my tires near the end of their life? would it be in my best interest to replace them soon or should i wait and do it when the penny rule takes effect?

I'm of the "if it's not broke, don't fix it" mentality. Replace them when they wear out. I got 70k miles out of the Michelins on my 1996 Outback and expect to get about the same with the Potenzas. Sure, they may not be the best tires out there, but the Potenzas seem OK to me and I have never had reason to complain about traction or tread life.

i bought my 03 OBS with 42k on it and now i'm almost at 52k (all in about 6 months, damn...). it still has the original potenzas. i've read the posts about which brands are good/recommended, but i have yet to see anything about how long the original tires last and/or when they should be replaced. i know some say replace them immediately because they're junk, but that wasn't really an option. but now i'm faced with winter coming. i prefer not to have to buy snow tires and regular tires since winters are hit or miss here (southern new england), but i do venture north for skiing. so are my tires near the end of their life? would it be in my best interest to replace them soon or should i wait and do it when the penny rule takes effect?

Just get a decent set of all season tires and you'll be ok. I've not put snows on our OBW at all and have no complaints about winter driving...

I've read that BFGoodrich Traction TA is a good mix of both all season and winter traction tire...