Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Missleading Indicator of Fuel Tank Capacity: 97 Outback

I just bought used 97 Outback. According to the specifications, the tank should have 16 l capacity. However, when I gas up at the time the bar indicats empty tank I can take only 12 gallons (I have never had any light indicating empty tank on; does this car has any indicator of empty tank???).

Is my fuel meter indicating wrong amount of fuel?

This is a common problem and has been discussed many times before, the fuel gauge is reading too low. You may be able to fix it, search around for a fix involving the sending units. I've never tried it but some people have successfully.

I just go by the trip odometer (reset it every time you fill up) and that has always worked for me. Plus, it allows you to check your mileage to make sure the car is running normally.

Yes there is a low fuel indicator light that comes on when you have around 2.2 gallons IIRC. That's assuming that it works. Mine does, but I've only seen it once in several years of ownership. I prefer not cutting it that close, I rarely put more than 10-11 gallons or so in the car to fill it up.

Steve

I just bought used 97 Outback. According to the specifications, the tank should have 16 l capacity. However, when I gas up at the time the bar indicats empty tank I can take only 12 gallons (I have never had any light indicating empty tank on; does this car has any indicator of empty tank???).

Is my fuel meter indicating wrong amount of fuel?

Replace left and right side fuel tank sending units. Common problem. Good luck.