Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Have ne1 get a chance to drive both Impreza outback and Legacy 2.5GT recently?

Members:

Does ne1 here have a chance to drive an 2005 Impreza Outback and 2005 Legacy 2.5GT? If so what do you thing about interior noise and road noise particularly in highway between these two? Taking into consideration that all criteria such as speed, road surface etc are the same. Personally I think the Outback is quieter than the Legacy. Could this be the low profile tire on the Legacy that causing a louder interior noise or am I having problem with my ear?

Thanks for any input.

I have driven both a 2005 Outback and a 2005 Legacy wagon and thought that the Outback was noisier. I think that it may have been because of the carrier that was on the roof. Anyway, I liked the Legacy wagon better. We had 2005 Impreza Outback and now have a 2005 WRX wagon (the Impreza Outback was totalled with only 3,000 miles on it) and the WRX is a much quieter car. It's mostly because the engine is smoother.

The Legacy should inherently be quieter than the Impreza, simply because the Legacy is a class above the Impreza.

If you ask me, Subarus have never been the quietest cars, but that's fine with me. I hate driving in silence anyway :headbang:

Subarus are still some of the more reliable cars out there. Just keep up the maintenance, and you should be fine.

Just bought myself an 05 Legacy GT Wagon, standard tranny, and love it (my first soobi). Really, after seeing the quality of the interior/exterior and then test-driving it, the deal was sealed. Road noise is almost nill...only thing you hear is the engine screaming through gears.

Now's a good time to check out the 05's since there are quite a few on "close-out". Mine was sitting on the lot for a few months because of the manual tranny and the color isn't the most popular. This would be your chance to get all the really nice add-on features at an entry-level sticker price. And, my car wasn't a fluke-find. I called around to other dealerships in the area (FT Bragg, NC) and they had similar deals on Legacy Wagons.

Wish you luck in your car search.

brian