Ultimate Subaru Message Board

3" air filter, suggestions anyone?

BlindSight

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/SUBARU-3-AIR-FILTER-IMPREZA-WRX-STI-LEGACY-CARBON-BLUE_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33659QQitemZ8006953413QQrdZ1

looks pretty nice and says subaru on it :) , was looking for a filter for the end of a snorkle or air intake system. anyone with air intake systems please post some pics, have tried to wade through countless threads but just too many and too spread out, thanks for all the help.

Don't just stick the air filter on the end of the snorkel pipe. I've seen more of those get ripped off and trashed by branches. If you angle it back and put a loop of bent bar in front of it, I'ts chances of survival are much better.

I have used sillicone and an awl to stitch a K&N back to gether before for this same reason.

didn't plan on just leaving it out in the open, plan on building a safari-like housing for it and a pretty tough grill for the opening as well, plan on routing it down through the fender and having a ypipe 2 way valve, running another intake under the hood above the spare tire spot so I will be able to switch from under the hood intake for regular driving to keep bugs and other things from being sucked in through the snorkle going 60 miles an hour and then switch it over to the snorkle to go swimming.

didn't plan on just leaving it out in the open, plan on building a safari-like housing for it and a pretty tough grill for the opening as well, plan on routing it down through the fender and having a ypipe 2 way valve, running another intake under the hood above the spare tire spot so I will be able to switch from under the hood intake for regular driving to keep bugs and other things from being sucked in through the snorkle going 60 miles an hour and then switch it over to the snorkle to go swimming.

cool idea, but I bet building it will be quite difficult...good luck!!

doesn't seem too terrible complicated, am trying to find some pictures of people with modified intakes without any modding of the original airbox to avoid messing with all of the vacuum hoses, anyone?

most of it isn't, except the y...to get it to seal completly (which you're going to need to if you can justify having a snorkel...)