Ultimate Subaru Message Board

align crank and cams on EJ25

Ok - 97 OBW - we fixed the oil pump leak, o-ring, gray rtv, etc. and were putting the timing belt back on. thought we had not moved anything (but didn't have the cam locks we obviously should invest in...)

SO, crank is aligned with mark up (key is down), and all the cam marks were lined up, BUT helper let the lower right cam sprocket turn too far...

HOW do we get this engine all back where it belongs to get the belt back on without taking valve covers, etc. off??

What needs to turn where to get it right, avoid damage, ?

I've been searching the board, but can't find these instructions.

THANKS!

Ok - 97 OBW - we fixed the oil pump leak, o-ring, gray rtv, etc. and were putting the timing belt back on. thought we had not moved anything (but didn't have the cam locks we obviously should invest in...)

SO, crank is aligned with mark up (key is down), and all the cam marks were lined up, BUT helper let the lower right cam sprocket turn too far...

HOW do we get this engine all back where it belongs to get the belt back on without taking valve covers, etc. off??

What needs to turn where to get it right, avoid damage, ?

I've been searching the board, but can't find these instructions.

THANKS!

Turn it until the double marks on the top and bottom cam sprocket line up. There is a single mark (180* offset on the top, and 90* offset on the bottom) that lines up with a notch in the rear timing belt cover. I recomend a small (perhaps dental type?) mirror to see the marks and notch for the bottom cam sprocket. You can turn the cam sprocket in either direction by hand using a 17mm box wrench if you are careful. I'm pretty sure the bottom left exaust valves do not hit anything with the engine in this position, so you should be OK. The left side cam sprockets are the bigest PITA on this engine. After these, everything else is easy.

Hmm, you talk about the "right" side, but those are not under tension when lined up for a timing belt. The left side isw the only one that may "jump out of your hand" as it is under tension. All side definitions given by Subaru, and thusly by me are when viewed from the driver's seat.

Hmm, you talk about the "right" side, but those are not under tension when lined up for a timing belt. The left side isw the only one that may "jump out of your hand" as it is under tension. All side definitions given by Subaru, and thusly by me are when viewed from the driver's seat.

sorry, I meant right looking at the ENGINE from the front, not the left side of the car. (backwards, guess I wasn't thinking!!)

So, the left camshafts are under tension, and the lower one jumped out of this hand. can we turn it backwards to get the marks lined up?

thanks for your response.

sorry, I meant right looking at the ENGINE from the front, not the left side of the car. (backwards, guess I wasn't thinking!!)

So, the left camshafts are under tension, and the lower one jumped out of this hand. can we turn it backwards to get the marks lined up?

thanks for your response.

yes. You can actually turn it in either direction, as long as you get the marks lined up right. Nothing hits.

THANKS!

we got it back together, even though we actually put it together first with the left intake cam 180 degrees out... luckily we were able to recover from that!

then I replaced the exhaust behind the cat. doesn't look like there's much ability to adjust. how can I adjust so the pipe doesn't hit the car?

John