Ultimate Subaru Message Board

rear lights wont work on XT! electrical guru's help :(

So my rear lights won't work.

They light up when I brake, but that's about it. Now, for a long time, I have a fuse blow (the one for the rear lights) when I turn on my headlights. I never had a chance to really sit down and figure it out, so I drove around with parking lights, so that I have some lighting in the rear at night.

But, I noticed last night that my parking lights don't work either. The parking light fuse is intact and no fusable links are blown. By parking lights don't work, I might no parking lights anywhere on the car - like if the switch doesn't work. I haven't made any changes or work on the car since I last saw them working... which was the last time I drove it! (Monday last week, I ride a bike to work so it sat for 3 days).

Along with my rear lights, the interior lights that light up the pod don't work either. God, this sucks. I think it's my stereo that's messing everything up, but I remove it and still blow fuses.

So, anyone know where I might look? Or where might be a good place to take the car to get it checked out? Despite having once been a computer engineer major I really suck at this electrical stuff. Failed circuits twice :(

Car is an 87' XT same in sig.

Hi , if the tail light fuse blows when you turn on the headlights , you have a short in that circut , does it blow right away? Check all bulb sockets for corrosion. Have someone turn on the headlight switch as you watch the tail lights , the one that does not come on momentarily is the trouble spot.

I would recommend you purchase a service manual for the car so you can locate the wiring colors and routing. You first need to find the short on the parking light circuit. You may be able to find the problem near the rear lights.

After the short is cleared then you can check for a problem with the power to the lights.