Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Would this be a leaking head gasket?

Ok, I've replaced all oil seals on the front of my motor, replaced the oil pan seal, triple checked the valve cover gaskets, but there is still oil lightly dripping out of my wonderful Soob. My mechanic says its my head gaskets, both sides! BUT, there is no coolant in my oil, no coolannt leaking out of my motor, my engine has never overheated......so whataya think? Does it still sound like head gaskets.

As well, is $1000 a realistic price for this job, and he will machine the heads too. The motor has 250 000 km's on it, and I'm wondering if I should just find another motor.

Any advice would help alot..thanks!

clean and check the seal at the camshaft housings, it is just silicone , there is an o ring that seals the oil pressure gallery there also, if unsure get a subi enthusast in the neighborhood to check it or get a second opinion, if i were closer id check it for ya but imNear Campbell River

It's possible for the HGs to leak oil externally without contaminating the coolant, as the oil passage to the head is right on the bottom of the block. If it's an EA82, it's more likely the head to cam tower mating surface that's leaking though...that's a really common problem on these engines.

I've been driving the car all summer with this leak...I just thought it was the oil pan gasket, and it doesnt seem to be getting any worse...I always thought when head gaskets went it needed immediate attention. Do you think its worth dropping 600 US into my car.....body no rust..all front oil seals replaced and belts replaced 20 000 ago? I was about to do the AA lift, wheels, and a D/R tranny. I justed wanted to get this oil leak checked out first...and sure enough....the worst happened...head gaskets!!!! Ughhh