Ultimate Subaru Message Board

New Member +exhaust question

Hello all,

I've been trolling the forum since deciding to buy a Loyale. I picked one up in Portland a month ago with the intention to drive it back down to LA. It turned into a bit of a nightmare but I have my...

'94 Loyale Wagon, Maroon -93Kmiles.

Forum member 'subaru_styles' told me to register, so here I am.

I have some work to do on my exhaust. First off, there's glass packs in the muffler, which is louder than a bat out of hell, not my thing. Secondly, when I shut the engine off after running hot, there's a tinkling sound all along the underside of the car and it appears to come from the length of the exhaust. I read that this is coming from the cone inside the Cat but I passed SMOG. What kind of work would that be?

If I'm having to replace or repair the Cat plus switch out the muffler, what should I do to the exhaust on whole to increase performance or effeceincy?

thanks guys, good forum!

-Michael

ya I agree, go 2" exhaust. But if all your worried about is the loud glass pack, change that. I went with a 2.5" inlet and outlet turbo muffler on my N/A loyale and it sounded good....not loud, just a deep sound too it. Not too annoying. As for the tinging...it's a double wall exhaust (stock ones anyways) and when the pipe cools, the difference in contraction between the 2 walls, and the heat sheilds makes that noise. No problems though....that sound is normal. If you don't like it, single wall pipes tend to not make that noise. Then again, usually single wall pipes (aftermarket stuff) doesn't come with all the fancy mud and dirt catchers (heat sheilds) the stock pipes come with.