Ultimate Subaru Message Board

programming keyless remote

Drivers side look up in under the dash, you will see the keyless entry brain and there will be a black wire tucked up in there with a little black button. Sometimes they are hard to find. Once you find it push and hold the button in you will hear the locks, then while still holding the button push anybody on the remote and you will hear the locks again, than let go of the little button and you are all programed. Hope this helps.

Anyone have simple directions for reprogramming a remote for 97 legacy? I can't find a black disarm button; the directions that can with the remote are worthless. thx

I installed a keyless entry system on my '97 Outback about three weeks ago. The button is on a set of brown wires and is supposed to be installed into a square hole behind the hood release lever. Mine is black, inside a black bezel.

If it isn't there, hunt down the keyless module and follow the larger wiring harness until you get two brown wires. The button should be at the end of that.

It's there. A kid at a tire store tried to show it to me (the first time) he was pushing on this bolt head for about a minute.... then said: "there you go". (expecting a tip???)

anyway, got home got a flashlight got on my knees & squeezed into the floor board space... upper left corner back of the dash, almost against the firewall to the left of the pedals........

keep looking, the little button hangs from about 2 inches of wire but MAY be behind other wires....

The program is easy. Buy the device off the internet? Make sure the remote's #'s are correct not necessarily the year of vehicle information.

Later,

Peter

I installed a keyless entry system on my '97 Outback about three weeks ago. The button is on a set of brown wires and is supposed to be installed into a square hole behind the hood release lever. Mine is black, inside a black bezel.

If it isn't there, hunt down the keyless module and follow the larger wiring harness until you get two brown wires. The button should be at the end of that.

I finally found the button--at the end of 2 brown wires neatly tucked up behind the module; had to clip a plastic tie to get to it. Reprogramming was easy. Thx for the tip.