Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Did the dealer screw up the valve cover gaskets?

My Dad has a 2001 Legacy Outback with the 2.5L Phase 2 engine. He recently had a dealer replace the timing belt and water pump. Two weeks later both the valve covers are spewing oil. He called the dealer without much reponse and the problem got worse quickly to the point the oil was causing ignition problems, stumbling and a CE light.

The other Subiw dealer in the city where he lives (Calgary) squeezed him in, changed the valve cover gaskets and installed new plugs and wires. Problems all solved.

However, it would seem to me that the dealer that did the timing belts screwed up. I've not done any work on the 2.5L boxer, but looking at our car, it seems to me that the vlave cover gaskets must be R&R'ed to change the belts. And what is the likelihood that BOTH the gaskets would begin leaking like crazy at the same time?

I told Dad he should raise a ruckus with the original dealer, but he's not sure.

My Dad has a 2001 Legacy Outback with the 2.5L Phase 2 engine. He recently had a dealer replace the timing belt and water pump. Two weeks later both the valve covers are spewing oil. He called the dealer without much reponse and the problem got worse quickly to the point the oil was causing ignition problems, stumbling and a CE light.

The other Subiw dealer in the city where he lives (Calgary) squeezed him in, changed the valve cover gaskets and installed new plugs and wires. Problems all solved.

However, it would seem to me that the dealer that did the timing belts screwed up. I've not done any work on the 2.5L boxer, but looking at our car, it seems to me that the vlave cover gaskets must be R&R'ed to change the belts. And what is the likelihood that BOTH the gaskets would begin leaking like crazy at the same time?

I told Dad he should raise a ruckus with the original dealer, but he's not sure.

NO they would not remove the valve covers to do the T- belt and water pump

The seals that leaked on the valve cover ,seal around the sparkplug tubes , they tend to go hard and don't seal and let the oil into the tube and fill it up with oil (like you said ) and cause a miss fire

Just one of the things that happen when seals and gasket "dry out"

SEA#3

You don't HAVE to remove the cam covers, but it does help position things. The camshafts even have a "nut" cast into them to allow a wrench to hold and turn it precisely.

IF, the dealer removed the cam covers, they should've fitted new gaskets.

Or, since this a common failing on boxer engines, it's just a coincidence.