Ultimate Subaru Message Board

MPFI My EA81 Brat??

Hey guys, how's it going?

Ok, I noticed my Brat's motor was leaking some oil, and upon further inspection, I noticed there was coolant right there on the oil drops coming off the engine crossmember. And I am also loosing coolant, and oil kinda fast....so I am suspecting the head gasket(s).

I got to thinking, if I am taking the heads off, then why not just slap turbo EA81 heads onto my carbbed block, throw the turbo MPFI manifold, throttle body, etc. Well I am at it, and have a higher compression turbo car for mainly a daily driver, and some off roading. I would have all the low end of a carb, and the top end of a turbo car.

Wiring wouldn't be an issue, I have someone that would wire it up for me, so all I would need is the turbo parts.

Will I have problems off roading it when the turbo spools up? I was also thinking about a dual stage boost controller, and set the boost really low, like at 2 pounds, and the other setting at 7 pounds, that way I can turn it down at the flip of a switch if I don't want it to spool up.....

Just a thought, what are yours?

Thanks

Rick

Yes, I would keep the boost low (most likley 7 pounds MAX) , and I would also be intercooling it. I think it's gonna need some help moving with bigger tires on it, and I kinda want the relibility of the FI, although my carb has never let me down yet.

Rick

I think it would be very cool if you did that.I will help find the heads and intake if you would like.Maybe I can help Jerry rig something.:) If I could I would like first dibs on your n/a heads from your engine.I should get somemore free time this week since I just finished up on a little remodel project.Let me know if I can help.

Hey guys, how's it going?

Ok, I noticed my Brat's motor was leaking some oil, and upon further inspection, I noticed there was coolant right there on the oil drops coming off the engine crossmember. And I am also loosing coolant, and oil kinda fast....so I am suspecting the head gasket(s).

I got to thinking, if I am taking the heads off, then why not just slap turbo EA81 heads onto my carbbed block, throw the turbo MPFI manifold, throttle body, etc. Well I am at it, and have a higher compression turbo car for mainly a daily driver, and some off roading. I would have all the low end of a carb, and the top end of a turbo car.

Wiring wouldn't be an issue, I have someone that would wire it up for me, so all I would need is the turbo parts.

Will I have problems off roading it when the turbo spools up? I was also thinking about a dual stage boost controller, and set the boost really low, like at 2 pounds, and the other setting at 7 pounds, that way I can turn it down at the flip of a switch if I don't want it to spool up.....

Just a thought, what are yours?

Thanks

Rick

Thats basically the same setup I have, except mine is an EA82. (plus I have a bigger turbo;) )

Not sure how well it would work, turning the boost down for offroading.. MBCs work great for interfering with the wastegate to create more boost.. but if the wastegate is set to stay closed until 5-7psi.. not sure how you would get it down to 2 psi.

Oh, and the theory that you would get the low end of the carb and top end of the turbo car is nice, but not entirely accurate. You lose some of the top end when you raise the static compression ratio. However, that can be regained somewhat with exhaust and intake mods.. more air in, more air out.. Makes for a happier car.

True, and I see what you mean about the wastegate, I guess that's something I will have to toy around with. You do have a great point though, and I haven't thought about that. If not I just deal with the turbo spooling. I most likley am just gonna use this as a daily driver, but like to randomly go off road, so I think the turbo would be good to help turn those "big" 27's I am putting on it once the lift is on. What octane gas do you run with your wagon? And I can see where I would loose some top end with the higer compression, and I think with my exhaust the flow should be good, as it's already 2 1/4" diameter, so it should breathe fairly well. But if not, low to mid range power is better in my book anyway, it's just that my EA81 has almost no top end now, the power band is from like 3Krpms to 4Krpms and it redlines at 5500rpms! lol

I'm pretty sure I'm gonna do it, just gotta see how long it takes to track the parts down and all.

Rick

I find the stock ea81t's turbo spools up at such low revs that you don't really get a surge at all. higher comp ratio may change that, but i'd say it should still be ok.

I've been able to do some slow crawling 4wding in mine (so low i have to go pretty slow over most rough stuff) and i havn't found it a problem.

The problem is, of course, that you have a N/A cam in there......and thats not quite as easy to swap as the heads! You could always just run it N/A MPFI.

What octane gas do you run with your wagon?

93 or higher..anything less is just asking for detonation. You are at a lot higher elevation than I am, .. I think your octane ratings at the pump go from 85 to 91 .. is that right? (haven't been to CO in a couple years).. anyway.. turbo cars should get the best.. Higher compression turbo cars should definitely get the best

93 is premium pump gas here

I can get 100 from a gas station about 20 miles away.

Cats will be gone soon... then it will be time to play with some C16

Darn, that's right...forgot about the cam. Do I need to put a turbo cam in? I would imagine it might mess with the power somewhat.

How hard is a cam swap on the EA81? It would seem that I remember you have to crack the block open to get to it.

Fartness!!!!!!! :-\

What is the difference in the cams???

And yes, I don't think that it would like 85 octane, 93 is premium pump gas here, anything above that is really expensive!

Thanks

Rick

what if you take out tubro pistons put in a delta cam and 9.5 ea71 pistons. and aftermarket computer with ingition control get rid of the distributor run 4 coils 1 for each plug off a crank sendser. and mulit point efi would be cool right????:grin:

ps :tuned exhaust

That would be cool, but slight overkill....And I am not really up for cracking the block open yet.....plus I want to run slightly higher boost than stock.....so the 9.5:1 compression would be a bit high I think.

I think I am going to at least try the N/A cam, it shold still at least run, but if it's too big of a problem, then I guess I'll have to change it, if it's fine, more power to me!

Rick