Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Can 2.5 liter head gasket be done in the car?

cool, thanks keith. i think i'll try it in the car. i've done others in the car, including the 6 cylinder XT6 and it's tight but doable. any special tools helpful? ratcheting wrenches are awesome for the XT6 for instance.

i hate getting the engine lift ready, hooking it all up, coaxing it all out and...back in again, you get the point.

sounds great, thanks guys.

reinstalling the cams is straight forward?

solid rockers/lifters?

done timing belts before so that's no problem. just need the valve covers and cams to come off.

i remove the intake bolts from the head and the a/c mount bolt on the XT6 and prop the intake up and out of the way without disconnecting much of anything, will i be able to pull that off on this motor too?

reinstalling the cams is straight forward?

Yes, just be very careful to mark everything to make sure it goes back into the same place. I found that some thick assembly lube was very helpful to hold things in place while replacing the caps and bolts.

i remove the intake bolts from the head and the a/c mount bolt on the XT6 and prop the intake up and out of the way without disconnecting much of anything, will i be able to pull that off on this motor too?
Pulloff and I did that on the EJ22 that we put in his 99 when we did the head gaskets. I can't think of a reason that won't work on the EJ25.

I just pulled out me FIRST Subaru motor! ( yeah for me... I think.)

It was very simple and straight forward.

I'll be putting it back together and putting it back in this weekend.

Heck, the cherry picker hardly knew that little thing was on there!

I removed the intake, made getting the torque converter bolts easier. Besides, it all needs a through cleaning up.