Ultimate Subaru Message Board

4WD Indicator Question

I have a 1987 DL Wagon. It has the instrument cluster without the oil pressure guage or tach. From what I have seen in the owners manual it also does not have the 4WD indicator. It is an EA82, five speed, pushbutton 4WD. Is it possible for me to wire up some sort of indicator light for the 4WD? Would I be able to possibly swap the instrument cluster for the one with the tach, oil pressure or would it be as big a pain as switching from the digital to analog?

Todd

I swapped my DL cluster for an RX cluster - its a really big job. You have to change two of the plugs themselves and then change the wires in the 4 plugs too.

Looks great - but a really big job.

Hmm I think you'd find that the push button 5 speed in your DL does have a 4WD indicator light. Did the car come out of the factory with 4WD? It is possible that the small bulb behind the "4WD" indicator in the cluster is blown?

I crawled under the car last night to see if I could find the wiring for the indicator. At the back of the tranny on the passenger side I did find a white round connector which is unplugged. Also on the end nearest the ground there are two wires coming out of this connector one of which is bolted to the tranny and the other is just dangling.

Is this the connector for the indicator? If so where does the dangling wire go to?

Thanks for the help.