Ultimate Subaru Message Board

square seal?

A buddy is replacing the head gaskets on an EA82 and has managed to discover a small square rubber seal stuck to a rack. Is there a seal like that anywhere in the camshaft housing or cylinder head? Everything so far appears round... if there is a home for it, where does it go?? Thanks.

Yeah, I know there are quite a few island people on here... I just haven't been around the board lately, so I'm not quite sure what they are up to.

It's not the oil passage gasket because we found that one and it is an original, although it looks like it was damaged by someone who previously "repaired" something in the area... so maybe they added that square one as a lazy fix.

Yeah, I know there are quite a few island people on here... I just haven't been around the board lately, so I'm not quite sure what they are up to.

It's not the oil passage gasket because we found that one and it is an original, although it looks like it was damaged by someone who previously "repaired" something in the area... so maybe they added that square one as a lazy fix.

I think the last one i saw was the seal around the cam towers? when i took off my head there was one, also damaged...