Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Cam box sealers

OK, I'm confused. Many have said to use Permatex anaerobic sealer, others say Permatex Ultra Grey. Almost all say DO NOT use RTV. I have looked on the Permatex site and they show the Ultra Grey Gasket Maker 82194 as SPECIAL RTV, and Permatex anaerobic Gasket Maker 51813. The Ultra Grey does not specify anaerobic, and the Anaerobic does. Loc-Tite has Anaerobic #518. What do I really want to use, and does anyone have an actual item number for such.

Thanks

OK, I'm confused. Many have said to use Permatex anaerobic sealer, others say Permatex Ultra Grey. Almost all say DO NOT use RTV. I have looked on the Permatex site and they show the Ultra Grey Gasket Maker 82194 as SPECIAL RTV, and Permatex anaerobic Gasket Maker 51813. The Ultra Grey does not specify anaerobic, and the Anaerobic does. Loc-Tite has Anaerobic #518. What do I really want to use, and does anyone have an actual item number for such.

Thanks

Loc-Tite #518 is really good, however also apply Loc-Tite Clean-N-Prime to the head. This will help to accelarate the curing time and allow the #518 in the groove to also cure. Just don't apply the Clean-N-Prime to the same surface you plan to apply the sealer to as it will start curing as you apply it and will cure on your finger too. Tough to get off. As an outboard mechanic I use this stuff all the time, for the last 25 years or so. It can be used for all metal to metal surfaces.