Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Does the spare need to be in the back?

A couple years ago I got a flat tire. I have a 1997 Subaru Outback (automatic). I am aware that you are suppose to put in the FWD fuse, but it is not clear if the spare needs to be on the back. The owner manual states....

Before driving your vehicle with temporary spare tire, you put a spare fuse inside the FWD connector located in the engine compartment. You can confirm that it is in front-wheel drive as there is a front-wheel drive warning light that comes on. After you reinstall the conventional tire, your remove the spare fuse from the FWD connector.

I ended up switching the full tire to the front and putting the spare on the back, with the thought it would handle better. The question is... is it required?

The different size in tires/wheels (the whole circumfrence of them) will screw with something. You did the right thing. If you have a FWD-only car you should never put a donut on the front as it will mess up the driveshafts or something. Sorry I don't know what specific mechanical part it has to do with, but I am sure that someone that does will chime in. Maybe something to to with the diff since one side will spin faster than the other

The different size in tires/wheels (the whole circumfrence of them) will screw with something. You did the right thing. If you have a FWD-only car you should never put a donut on the front as it will mess up the driveshafts or something. Sorry I don't know what specific mechanical part it has to do with, but I am sure that someone that does will chime in. Maybe something to to with the diff since one side will spin faster than the other

Yeah, if you have a donut on one side, and a full size on the other side, the front differential will constantly be turning to compensate. But that's what it's designed to do. I don't see how doing that for 100 miles till you get the spare replaced could be any more wear than driving on curvy mountain roads all the time instead of straight highway. It's an open differential in the front right, and with the FWD fuse in, the back doesn't care any more? Unless, it does something to the traction control system??? I've never owned a car with that.

I always throw away the donut first thing when I get a new car and put in a full sized spare anyway.