Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Problems with emissions

Hi everyone. Thanks for reading this. My '87 Gl 2bbl has a high CO% reading. In the state of Virginia we must have the tailpipe emissions checked every two years in some countys.Is there a way to adjust the air/fuel mixture so it doesn't run so rich? The car passed at 25mph but not at 15mph. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

There is an angled air/fuel adjusting screw on the right side (facing the engine from the front of the car) of the Hitachi carb, but unless you have a meter or have done it before, I'd leave it alone.

New NGK sparkplugs and a can a seafoam in the gastank and a little bit of highway driving before retesting may get you through.

I finally got rid of my stock carb and got a Weber because I couldn't get the stock Hitachi to pass emissions. But if you don't want to do that , you can add denatured alchohol to your tank. About 1 gallon to 5 should guarantee you pass.

Thanks, I'll let you know how it turns out. Can't swing the carb before the end of the month so I'll try the the alcohol.

There is an angled air/fuel adjusting screw on the right side (facing the engine from the front of the car) of the Hitachi carb, but unless you have a meter or have done it before, I'd leave it alone.

New NGK sparkplugs and a can a seafoam in the gastank and a little bit of highway driving before retesting may get you through.

When you say meter, do you mean a vacuum gauge of some sort? If so, would the highest vacuum mean the best mixture? I've balanced carbs on other makes but they had two or three carbs and could be very tempermental. I will change the plugs and the PCV today and let you know how it works out. Thanks again!

I've seen this problem a number of times, and found it to be an aftermarket PCV Valve, or an air control valve with oil in it. The PCV Valve was the most common, the OEM valve will have a 31D (or the like) stamped on the hex part of the valve and an oem will say made in USA (bless their souls) where the hose fits on on most.

Kerry/Roo-Builders

It would help a lot if you could post your emission test results, so we could give better advice.

Sorry about that: HC ppm 20 with 216 as the limit. CO% 3.19 with 1.84 as the limit. NO ppm 6 with 3135 as the limit. These were all at 15mph. When the mph was brought up to 25mph the Co% dropped to 2.16 with 2.39 as the limit. NO ppm dropped to zero at 25mph and HC ppm went to 23 with 210 as the limit. I did replace the PCV valve and plugs (two carbon fouled) this weekend and cleaned the cap electrodes and rotor. Was going to replace the cap and rotor but they gave me the wrong parts.The air filter was changed also. The plugs I put in were NGK BPR6ES-11. I also sealed each end of the plug wires with di-electric grease. The oil and filter were changed last weekend and the exhaust is brand new, including the cat. From what the previous owner told me, this CO problem has persisted for a number of years and his mechanic would tweak something to get it to pass.The plugs were gapped to .044 and needless to say the car has much better pick-up. The carb adjustment has me puzzled in that you have to back out the mixture screw quite a ways to get the engine perfectly smooth. One more thing, I did replace some brittle and cracked vacuum hoses including the one to the PCV valve. Hope I didn't bore you to tears with too much information.The tune-up work was done after the test, so who knows. Maybe it will pass now. Im going to replace the air control vacuum valve and the bowl vent vacuum valve before bringing it back. At thirty dollars a pop these damn tests get expensive! I wish you could test it before going back to the shop.

Tom