Ultimate Subaru Message Board

97 OBW - 3 strut questions

Hi

we replaced the rear struts today. Not a bad job, even if it did take all day. We bought Sensa-tracs, hope they work out ok, and a good spring compressor.

We did see some peeling of the protective coating on the springs (rear), and used a steel brush and some automotive primer to cover the spots - especially since it's about to be winter in Vermont...

so,

1. can someone tell me the VINs covered by the spring rust recall?

2. does anyone know where to buy the entire strut/spring/etc. ASSEMBLED for this car?

3. I thought I read that I should make marks and be careful on reassembly so I don't mess up alignment (on rear). Are there any adjustments on the rear struts? I didn't see any.

It does seem to handle better, since, as I suspected, the left rear strut had leaked, and had no damping resistance at all.

thanks!

The rear is adjusted at the inboard side of the support rods for toe only.

thanks.

does anybody know where to get fully assembled (springs, mounting bracket) struts for a 97 obw? Since I just put Sensa-tracs on the rear, Monroe would be preferred...