Ultimate Subaru Message Board

new member & question about valve adjust.

great site for info! i just joined to see if anybody was concerned about valve adjustment at 105,000 miles? i have a 99 outback with the dohc 2.5l with 113,000 miles. i dont seem to see much about this. it has run great and still is aside from the crank seal i fixed at around 62,000 miles along with the timing belt. dry as a bone since. the book calls for it but i have not done anything about this. would like some thoughts on this. i dont think i'm going to mess with this if it's not critical and it's running good. thanks for any input on this.

great site for info! i just joined to see if anybody was concerned about valve adjustment at 105,000 miles? i have a 99 outback with the dohc 2.5l with 113,000 miles. i dont seem to see much about this. it has run great and still is aside from the crank seal i fixed at around 62,000 miles along with the timing belt. dry as a bone since. the book calls for it but i have not done anything about this. would like some thoughts on this. i dont think i'm going to mess with this if it's not critical and it's running good. thanks for any input on this.

These valves are adjusted using shims that are replaced if they are found to be out of tolerance. This is a major hassle as when you loosten the cam berrings, you change the clearance (it shouldn't, I know, but it does). For that reason, you need a special tool to push down on the valve caps in order to remove the shim for measurement. Then you measure the old shim with a micrometer, and order a new shim by taking the measured clearance, the thickness of the shim, and the difference you need to bring it into adjustment into account. This is a major PITA, and perhaps a lot of the reason they went to SOHC in the second gen of the engine, which are much easier to adjust the valves on. The '96 DOHC had Hydraulic adjusters, but I do not know if they fit. If they do, it may be worth getting 16 of them and retrofitting. This is only worth it if you plan on keeping the engine for several hundred more miles. . .

These valves are adjusted using shims that are replaced if they are found to be out of tolerance. This is a major hassle as when you loosten the cam berrings, you change the clearance (it shouldn't, I know, but it does). For that reason, you need a special tool to push down on the valve caps in order to remove the shim for measurement. Then you measure the old shim with a micrometer, and order a new shim by taking the measured clearance, the thickness of the shim, and the difference you need to bring it into adjustment into account. This is a major PITA, and perhaps a lot of the reason they went to SOHC in the second gen of the engine, which are much easier to adjust the valves on. The '96 DOHC had Hydraulic adjusters, but I do not know if they fit. If they do, it may be worth getting 16 of them and retrofitting. This is only worth it if you plan on keeping the engine for several hundred more miles. . .

thanks!