Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Thank you Ed - CV axle changed successfully

I wanted to say a big "thanks" to Edrach ... the method he outlines in this thread:

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=2576

just got me through my first CV axle/half shaft swap.

This morning, the RX shuddered and clicked its way around town... on tonight's test drive/burrito run, it glided (okay maybe not, but it felt like it!!)

I'm sorta embarassed to say how long the job took me, but long story short I really only had to undo the inside bolt on the control arm, and the 3 nuts on the strut tower, and the e-brake cable bracket, in order to get the axles out/in.

Most fun moment was breaking the castle nut loose - without a breaker bar, just a 1/2" Craftsman socket wrench and a 36mm socket, I had a hard time for a while, even standing on the wrench didn't do it (too skinny). I thought, "how can I make myself heavier?" and eventually got the idea to hold a floor jack (in its carrying case) far out in one hand while I stood on the wrench, this acted to put a lot more torque on the nut and it broke free.

Nice work, I think we've all used one resource or another on this board to get some Subie work done. Good Job! I get in hindsight you had fun, too!

I wanted to say a big "thanks" to Edrach ... the method he outlines in this thread:

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=2576

just got me through my first CV axle/half shaft swap.

This morning, the RX shuddered and clicked its way around town... on tonight's test drive/burrito run, it glided (okay maybe not, but it felt like it!!)

I'm sorta embarassed to say how long the job took me, but long story short I really only had to undo the inside bolt on the control arm, and the 3 nuts on the strut tower, and the e-brake cable bracket, in order to get the axles out/in.

Most fun moment was breaking the castle nut loose - without a breaker bar, just a 1/2" Craftsman socket wrench and a 36mm socket, I had a hard time for a while, even standing on the wrench didn't do it (too skinny). I thought, "how can I make myself heavier?" and eventually got the idea to hold a floor jack (in its carrying case) far out in one hand while I stood on the wrench, this acted to put a lot more torque on the nut and it broke free.