Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Goodbye, old paint - Hello 3.0R?

Well, our last 97 OBW goes away tomorrow. My sister-in-law's 97 OBW died at 245K miles (rebuilt engine ble up, not sure of details) so she is buying mine. mere pup at 164,000 miles.

She commutes about 100 miles a day in VT and they live up a mile of dirt roads, with an uphill S shaped driveway, so AWD is pretty essential.

I had the head gaskets replaced at 140K. The Michelin Hydro Edge were put on at 120K. So it will be interesting to see how far she gets.

If I could find a 99 with moderate mileage I'd take a look as a replacement. Otherwise right now it looks like a Toyota Highlander.

Well, it turns out Subaru introduced what I wanted previously - a 6 cylinder wagon without a sun roof and with 5 speed auto.

It's called the Outback 3.0R Base. There are almost none at dealers, they'll get back to me on cost and delivery time today.

It has the 5 spoke wheels of the other 6's, and says 3.0R in the back. That means if you take off the 3.0R it looks just like a 4 cyl OBW, but with 75 more hp.....

She was going to buy a used Passat, but some people she worked with filled her in on their service bills. Change of plann....

When her husband found out she was getting another Subaru (her 4th) he quoted Godfather 3 about "Subaru Nation":

"“Just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in!”

• 1 month later...

GM didn't own 40%, they owned about 20%. They sold about 1/2 that to Toyota and the rest on the market. So Toyota owns a little less than 10%.

There are rumors that Toyota wants to produce Toyotas in the Lafayette, IN plant where Outbacks are manufactured.

SUB.jpg