Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Need advice on button on auto shift console

The car is a 91 Loyale and the button is to release the shifter when shifted from park to another gear. I gather that when you step on the brake the shifter is supposed to move. Mine I have to push this button everytime to move the shifter. Is this normal?? Is there an adjustment that needs to be made to fix this?? How about disconecting it completly?? Thanks, Mark

EDit. I guess this is called the shifter interlock button????

You should only need to hit the button to move the shifter if you're going to shift to a new gear that could be 'damaging.' ie, from neutral to reverse, from drive to 2nd, etc.

You should not need to push the button to upshift from 1st->2nd, and from 2nd->drive, and I think from drive->neutral (could be wrong on the last one).

You should only need to hit the button to move the shifter if you're going to shift to a new gear that could be 'damaging.' ie, from neutral to reverse, from drive to 2nd, etc.

You should not need to push the button to upshift from 1st->2nd, and from 2nd->drive, and I think from drive->neutral (could be wrong on the last one).

I need to push the button everytime iI move the shifter from Park to Reverse. Once it has moved from Park the shifter can move to any gear. So I guess that I just can't step on the brake and move the shifter????

Edit. The button that I am talking about is the one in the console, not on the shifter itself.

You have to put your foot on the brake to shift out of park. That is a design feature. Foot on brake, push shift button under your thumb and shift. You should not need to push the interlock button that is mounted on the console. That is used if there is no battery power or key available and you need to shift it to nuetral, such as if it's been wrecked and getting towed or something.

Shifting from Park to Reverse, Reverse to Park and downshifting will require you to push the thumb button. Upshifting can be done without the button. Also, a side note, you should find that you can shift from Drive to Nuetral with a firm push on the shifter. That is another design feature for safety. In a collision the momentum of the shifter should automatically shift the transmission into neutral.

Ok everyone I found out what the problem was. A blown fuse! I noticed the dome light was not on when the door was opened and started looking. The fuse labled ROOM was blown. Replaced the fuse and the shifter works fine now. Foot on brake, push button on shifter and shift. Done Deal. No more haveing to push the interlock button.