Ultimate Subaru Message Board

first subaru + snow= changed man

well after getting the wagon ready (new brakes all around) i came out to 3feet of snow , and one stuck wife (no time for snows for her integra yet )

well needless to say that her parents road is unplowed at this point and there driveway is a 1/4 mile long . so im there by my self aand just plowed through snow past the bumper and i find her car .

i put the integra in neutral and attact the tow strap . lol the subby with all season pulled that thing out like it was nothign . i was truly amazed.

i dont think ill ever go a winter with out one of these cars again .

oh and gas milage suck rump roast . lol but i was having fun , i find a soon as i put it to the floor in the slippery stuff the gas goes fastr then any car ive seen .

Amen to that! I went from an Exploder to a Forester five years ago. Tried driving down the hill during the first big snow (me and the monster truck 4WD's) and it was fabulous. I have never felt so safe. My mountain has turned into a big Subaru town. (The only problem is now I have no real excuse not to call in to work...Hmm...) :lol:

ya subaru's awd system is pretty amazing, for fact i own a 93 legacy and i have went throught snow up to the top of the DOOR, ya im not kidding but i did have some good snow tires. I have to tell u i was amazed to, who would think such a low car could go throught so much snow? The snow wasn't even on a road, it was in a old friends driveway and he wanted us to clean up some snow, but im surprised we even got into the drive way, because he house is on a main road, and when we saw how much snow they was we were shocked. So i floored it and turned right into the snow, the wheels did spin but there was lots of ice. If i encounter the same situation this year, ill take a picture.

i put the integra in neutral and attact the tow strap . lol the subby with all season pulled that thing out like it was nothign . i was truly amazed.

Do you have the stock RE92 all seasons still on? I've made it through ~13" of snow out my driveway with them, but I would never have guessed they'd grip enough to tow. Nice!

Just wondering if you guys are getting through all this snow with open, or limited slip rear differentials.

I live in Winnipeg, Canada, where we were hit with just under 30 cm of snow.

I managed to barely get into work with my 95 protege, and 4 year old all season tires.

I want to buy a new/newer car that will give me the ability to get to work without shoveling out half a dozen times.

Since I was able to get into work I am convinced it is a tracktion issue, not clearence, so I believe a massive SUV/truck with locking rear differentials may be overkill for the 3-4 days a year I would need it.

I am loking at Subaru for not getting stuck in a blizzard (I will outfit the car with winter tires), but also for gas mileage and handleing that is more car like.

I figure I would have the safety of AWD plus a fairly reliable car to boot.

But my web research now has me worried that an open dif is not as good as a LSD.

I can afford the new Impeza with open dif, but the Forester model with LSD is doable if I buy used.

Am I placing too much importance on the LSD? I mean if my FWD mazda/open diff got me to work, then an AWD open diff with winter tires should have no trouble at all.

Just wondering if you guys are getting through all this snow with open, or limited slip rear differentials.

I live in Winnipeg, Canada, where we were hit with just under 30 cm of snow.

I managed to barely get into work with my 95 protege, and 4 year old all season tires.

I want to buy a new/newer car that will give me the ability to get to work without shoveling out half a dozen times.

Since I was able to get into work I am convinced it is a tracktion issue, not clearence, so I believe a massive SUV/truck with locking rear differentials may be overkill for the 3-4 days a year I would need it.

I am loking at Subaru for not getting stuck in a blizzard (I will outfit the car with winter tires), but also for gas mileage and handleing that is more car like.

I figure I would have the safety of AWD plus a fairly reliable car to boot.

But my web research now has me worried that an open dif is not as good as a LSD.

I can afford the new Impeza with open dif, but the Forester model with LSD is doable if I buy used.

Am I placing too much importance on the LSD? I mean if my FWD mazda/open diff got me to work, then an AWD open diff with winter tires should have no trouble at all.

I honestly don't think you need an LSD for Canuckian winters. In fact an LSD is probably worse in some cases because instead of slipping one wheel and losing speed you spin both wheels and back the car into a snowbank. Besides if you can't get an awd car with snow tires on it around in the snow you:

A. are trying to drive in way too much snow

or

B. should get a buspass because you shouldn't be on the road in winter:brow:

Agreed. I wouldn't make having LSD the main selling point. If you're putting winter tires on they will help you more than the LSD.

I have a LSD on my Outback, it's nice to have for the power slides, but i'm not sure how much it really helps other than getting going off the line.

Figure out if you'd rather have a new car, or if you need the extra room the Forester provides.

Happy shopping!