Ultimate Subaru Message Board

RX trans- no 4th or low range

So I finally got my project RX running today, it had sat 2 years with a bad engine. Now I think the trans may be dead.

All the gears in high range work fine except 4th. The shifter will move into the 4th position, but when I let the clutch out it grinds, BAD. Exact same thing happens when I try to use low range.

I pulled the transmission dipstick before running the car, and the fluid looked a bit dark but at the proper level. After running it, it's almost all the way up the dipstick, thin like water, and the color of rust. Looks like the trans may be full of water. When driving it I get a horrible howling noise. At idle and when running, there's a chirping noise coming from the bellhousing- not a constant chirp, but many short chirps in a row. Maybe some clutch issue as well? I used a stage 2 clutch from these guys in NC, it engages and releases just like it should, no funky feelings coming from the clutch.

Is this trans salvageable? What kinds of things should I try to run through it to try and get some more life out of it? Any kind of additive or cleaning agent? Or is it just a lost cause?

Really bothers me. All this work, and now I've got trans issues.

Oh, and a busted brake line and cracked fuel hose. At least it runs though.

Man, what a basket case this car was. Finally undid all the crazy stuff the previous owner did to it, only to find this tranny issue.

Probably going to put the trans from my other RX in it, and stick a PB 4WD trans in it, since Tin Soldier has one sitting around. Already bastardized that one by sticking a nonturbo engine in it, might as well bastardize it some more...

Man, what a basket case this car was. Finally undid all the crazy stuff the previous owner did to it, only to find this tranny issue.

Probably going to put the trans from my other RX in it, and stick a PB 4WD trans in it, since Tin Soldier has one sitting around. Already bastardized that one by sticking a nonturbo engine in it, might as well bastardize it some more...

HAHA... It's still a full blooded sube in the end. Think of it as a custom hybrid instead of bastardized. :grin: