Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I've decided to try tinting the windows myself, and I've found a website that has pre-cut kits for the Outbacks. The problem is I have a regular '95 Legacy wagon. My understanding is that for that for the early years (maybe even today) the body was identical between the Legacys and Outbacks with the exception of the roofline being raised. Is this true?

I would normally be worried about getting bubbles, except that I'm already losing some paint on the rear gate, plus I'm going to hit 300,000 miles within two years. Lifetime warranties don't mean much to me. Of course, in five years I may have 400,000 miles and be kicking myself for not getting someone who knows what they're doing to install it. ;)

Adam

axgutt,

I've watched the last 3 cars I've owned being tinted by a professional, and its not rocket science. It is very doable for the average person, if you're fussy, and take your time to do it right. First, you don't need to order anyone's kit, just good quality tinting film of the correct darkness for your jurisdiction, and a very sharp utility blade knife, and small squeegees for working out the bubbles. The job requires that you clean the inside glass carefully and well, and the same for the outsides as well. Wet the outside glass surface of one door, using a water and mild detergent solution with a spray bottle, and place a sheet of tint on it (with all of its backing sheets still in place) and rough cut it to shape oversize. The spray will hold the tint in place for you. Then open that door, and using a putty knife, push the rubber strip that rests along the bottom of the glass, along the top of the door panel, down into the window channel. This is to allow the installation of the tint below that rubber strip, so that when the tint is finally dry and you crank the window down and then bring it back up, the rubber will flip up on its own giving you tint below the rubber strip's top edge, so the tint won't be peeled off by the rubber strip whenever the window is wound down. Now, spray the inside of the glass to get it wet for sliding the tint into place, peel the backing of the tinted sheet, making sure you get the glued side to the glass, and position it on the window. Work the bubbles out from the centre of the tint to the edges of the glass, and squeegee at least an inch of tint below the rubber strip referred to earlier. When all bubbles have been worked out of the tint, all that remains is to trim the edge of the tint to the shape of the glass, but back from the edge by a quarter of an inch, to prevent its peeling back when the glass is lowered and raised. Do the same process for each door, then tackle the rear quarter windows (no rubber to push down here and no need to trim back a quarter of an inch from the edges either). Leave the back window/tailgate to last, as you'll have some experience at the job by then. Do the same rough fit on the outside of the tailgate, but to get the tint to fit the compound shape of the glass, use a heat gun at a safe distance to shrink the tint to the shape of the window. Then do the install on the inside of the window. I even had my sunroofs done on my 02 OBW LTD, for all the time and material it took. Then leave all of the windows in their up position for at least 24 hours to give the glue time to set. Good luck, and I hope this was of some help.

I've attempted the DIY window tinting one time. On a 98 degree 100% humidity Mississippi afternoon. Trust me, one drop of sweat (or water) on the paper that you peel off once you have cut your template and you may as well ball that one up and throw it away. I took mine to the guys that do it for a living.

I've decided to try tinting the windows myself, and I've found a website that has pre-cut kits for the Outbacks. The problem is I have a regular '95 Legacy wagon. My understanding is that for that for the early years (maybe even today) the body was identical between the Legacys and Outbacks with the exception of the roofline being raised. Is this true?

Adam

OK, to answer your question, yes, that statement is bacsically true for years 1995 to 1999, I believe in 2000 there was a body change so I'm not sure if those windows are the same. By the way, there are more differences overall then just the roof line.

OK, to answer your question, yes, that statement is bacsically true for years 1995 to 1999, I believe in 2000 there was a body change so I'm not sure if those windows are the same. By the way, there are more differences overall then just the roof line.

The 1995-1999 Outback wagons have a raised roofline; from 2000 on, Legacys and Outback share the same body. I don't see any reason why the glass would be different between a Legacy and an Outback of the same year. I have seen a pre-1990 wagon with a raised roofline, but I don't know what model it was.