Ultimate Subaru Message Board

As usual, I let the washer fluid run out on my Subie. Had been empty for awhile, I suspect. Filled it up, but it seems to take forever to pick up the prime and start pumping again. I probably drove it 45 miles yesterday after filling, and tried the squirters a dozen times or more for various intervals. No dice. It's been parked since I got home yesterday, so I've not tried it yet, but I suspect after sitting so long it may well work next attempt.

Is there some trick or method to getting the pump to work more quickly?

Other than not letting it run out in the first place, of course!

Nipper pretty well nailed it, the pump was shot. A replacement was only $14, and pretty easy to change besides, but I still ended up making a 150 mile drive without the washers on wet, dirty roads. Must have stopped 25 times to splash some fluid on the windshield right from the jug. Small glitch, but big problem, ya know?!

The electrical connector is just a simple slide on type. You remove the tank and the pump comes out with it. Then just pull the wire connector and the feed hose off.The pump is press-fit thru a rubber bung in the tank, you have to tug on it pretty good, but it just pulls out, theres no mechanical fastener.