Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Special CV tools

Ok so Ive looked abit through the forums on replacing CV joints and have found lots of good advice and mention here an there of a tool to help (Haynes also mentions it) So I got online and looked around but with out knowing a proper name for it I cant find much to go on. Anyone have a link, specific tool name, or good idea on where to find one and price? Would like to find out, though may just grit my teeth and do it the old school way.

<-- he asks as if everyone wasnt aleady sick of fielding axle questions.

All you need besides the basic tools is a 5/16th punch for the roll pin, and iirc a 36mm socket for the hub.

The beauty of the hole on the outboard end of the axle is that its the perfect size to put the 5/16th punch in and hammer the axle out of the hub, sure beats narfing the threads on the axle.

Ok so Ive looked abit through the forums on replacing CV joints and have found lots of good advice and mention here an there of a tool to help (Haynes also mentions it) So I got online and looked around but with out knowing a proper name for it I cant find much to go on. Anyone have a link, specific tool name, or good idea on where to find one and price? Would like to find out, though may just grit my teeth and do it the old school way.

You guys sure he isn't talking about the cv-boot band clamp pliers?

I have 2 of them that I got from NAPA.

NV

Yeah a pic would be nice if you find the time. And thanks for the speedy info.

Anouther quick question though. On monday if all goes well im picking up a EA81 out of an 88 hatch for my 82 wagon the, wagons block has bad rings but other then that is in good shape (as far as I can tell) so I was thinking of stripping it down for spare parts for the newer engine (ie. disty, carb, and other fun stuff.) then selling the the block as a short block for someone to rebuild or use as a very large paper weight. Any idea as to what might be a good price for a clear conscience. Or anyone on here want to make an offer.

Ah, I think I know what you mean now.....

My Chilton's mentions using "Remover tool 921122000 or 922493000 or equivalents to seperate the halfshaft from the spindle housing." Basically they look like a special tool that bolts to the rotor and presses the shaft out of the housing. The installer tool (927210000) does the reverse.. pulling the shaft back into the housing. I think that equivalents means some sort of dead blow hammer.... because that what I see most poeple use...(and me):brow:. hehehe

I had a couple of axles come out rather hard, but nothing a little heat on the housing and a dead blow couldn't pop out.

NV