Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Leaking ATF Tranny fluid

Hey,

I just recently had the tranny changed in my Loyale (As i didn't have the time to do it myself)

It was a used tranny, but it is in good condition (Shifts well..etc.)

It seems to be leaking a large amount of tranny fluid, it must be a seal...when i refill it, i get to about a qaurt and 1/2 and it starts dumping out onto the ground....i can't locate where its coming from...unfortunetly i don't have a shop repair manual, so i haven't been able to come up with an idea of where its leaking from....

I don't like the automatic...hopefully will be converting to a 5 spd...(no overdrive, 4 grand at 70 mph-haha)

Thanks,

Bill

Did you find the leak? Was it the trans cooling lines?

Hey,

I just recently had the tranny changed in my Loyale (As i didn't have the time to do it myself)

It seems to be leaking a large amount of tranny fluid, it must be a seal...when i refill it, i get to about a qaurt and 1/2 and it starts dumping out onto the ground....i can't locate where its coming from...unfortunetly i don't have a shop repair manual, so i haven't been able to come up with an idea of where its leaking from....

I don't like the automatic...hopefully will be converting to a 5 spd...(no overdrive, 4 grand at 70 mph-haha)

Thanks,

Bill

Did you find the leak? Was it the trans cooling lines?

Oh man, i'am way busy...i will check as soon as i can...right now i've got just enough time to keep her full...on saturday I will check it though...i don't have to do anything that day, so i'll let you know...(if this post isn't way down at the bottom...haha)

-Thanks for the help,

-Bill

Is it really a leak or are you overfilling? The trannies listed capacity is if it were completely dry, with the torque converter drained. If the TC was not drained, it will accept only about half of reated capacity. Another thought is the various switches and vacuum modulator that screw into the tranny around the fluid level line; any of them missing or not tightened?

Do you have your old tranny or did you turn it in/junk it?

Did you ever find the problem? Let us know when you get a chance. Thanks.

Hey,

Thanks,

Bill

I must have overfilled it...

I couldn't find anything. It does leak for sure, but not enough to dump out as it did...still...i don't remember seeing it come out where the dipstick goes in, or around the funnel. Very weird. Anyway, i'am getting a 5 speed tranny...so its all good...any posts on tranny conversions??

Thanks,

Bill