Ultimate Subaru Message Board

What engines have hydraulic lifters?

Hi,

I have been searching / looking for a Legacy or Outback for some time now. I want a car that fulfills most of my wishes:

1-station wagon

2-large engine

3-A/C

4-automatic

plus, less important, a relatively low mileage, known service history, roof rails, leather would be nice etc. Age is not very important either, as long as the car is in good condition.

Legacys are quite rare over here in Holland, especially if you want one with the above requirements!

If I find one, it will have LPG installed (much cheaper to drive). But LPG has one nasty habit: on engines with solid valve lifters, it needs adjustment a lot. So I am trying to find out what engines have solid versus hydraulic valve lifters.

Is the following correct?

2.2 - all hydraulic

2.5 - only 1996 hydraulic, after that solid

2.0 - all hydraulic

Or can someone point me to a site where I can this kind of info on the engines?

If solid lifters, is the adjustment a DIY job? I have done that very often on old english cars (Austin, Triumph, etc). I have a micrometer and know the adjustment is done by shim plates. Is it a lot of work on a boxer engine?

Thanks for any help,

Dion

would-be owner.....

Hi,

2.2 - all hydraulic

2.0 - all hydraulic

Close, but not quite.

2.2 hydraulic through 96, then solid

2.5 hydraulic in 96, 97-99 (DOHC) solid shim type lifters, after that (SOHC) screw and nut type adjusters

2.0 (not sure)

Or can someone point me to a site where I can this kind of info on the engines?

If solid lifters, is the adjustment a DIY job? I have done that very often on old english cars (Austin, Triumph, etc). I have a micrometer and know the adjustment is done by shim plates. Is it a lot of work on a boxer engine?

Thanks for any help,

Dion

would-be owner.....

Good luck on finding a Subie that fits your needs. The shim type lifters are a PITA to adjust, but the screw and nut type are fairly easily done by a home mechanic.

LPG has one nasty habit: on engines with solid valve lifters, it needs adjustment a lot. So I am trying to find out what engines have solid versus hydraulic valve lifters.
Dion, this is a new one to me, what's the reason for this? It seems counterintuitive. LPG is clean burning no? e.g. low carbon/soot, etc.

2.2 - all hydraulic

2.0 - all hydraulic

I can tell you that the '00 2.2 has mechanical lifters (the cam acts on the screw-adjustable roller rocker arms actually, no lifters at all).

Both Subes I own are mechanical and the clearance seems extremely stable.