Ultimate Subaru Message Board

2005 Legacy Dashboard Rattle

My first winter with my new 2005 Legacy sedan and I've got a cold weather rattle/squeek in the dash. It is on both the driver and passenger side of the dashboard where the dash meets the defroster vents, near the A-pillars. I'm thinking there are clips that attaches the dash to the structure and these are getting loose with the temperature difference you get across the dash between the cold windshield and the warm interior. I think it is temperature related as it is not there when you first get in the car, but appears after about 30 minutes or so of driving, once the interior becomes uniformly warm.

Does anyone have similar symptoms?

Does anyone have pictures on how the dash is attached? I suspect a piece of felt between the dash and the mounting structure would fix the problem--if I can figure out how to get the dash off.

My wife says to get used to it--welcome to the idiosyncrasies of your new car.

I'm thinking of taking it to the dealer, but squeaks and noises are difficult (and expensive) to diagnose.

Anyways--any opinions would be appreciated,

mikkl

Cherish this period. By about 50k miles when the single rattle has grown to 3 or 4, piston slap is in full bloom and the heat shields are barking a different frequency at every RPM, you'll recall fondly how noise-free the car was when new.

Don't let the trained monkees at the dealer touch your car for something as benign as a rattle lest you get it back with three others on top of the same one they didn't fix. :-\

If you decide to tear into it yourself, get a factory manual first so you have reference on where all fasteners and connectors go. If you plan on keeping the car, then also get a manual for the engine and diagnostic codes.

IMO, get used to all the noises. My two subes are by far the rattliest cars I've ever owned.

What I've done in the past when I wanted to figure out how these beasts are put together is go to your local dealership parts department and ask them to copy their schematic page for the part your interested in. Generally their is an exploded view of the area showing all the various parts and their locations. Good luck finding the noise (perhaps it has a part number and is standard on your model).