Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I'm looking to get an older Impreza, but I only have a 5k purchase price budget.

My question is, and I apologize if this has been gone over ad nauseum, what are the common problem areas with these cars? Also, is there any comprehensive buyers guides, either online or in print? Finally, what shop manual is the best for these cars? I use the Bentley manual for my BMWs, but it doesn't look like they make a Subaru one.

I'll probably look for a 95 or so 2.2 so answers specific to that model are appreciated.

Thanks!

Dan McGinn

Welcome to the board. The pre-1996 2.2's really have few problems to speak of. I say pre-1996 because they are non-interference. So if a timing belt happens to snap, you just slap a new one on and you're good to go. If this happens with a 1997 or later, CRUNCH.......They have interference type engines.

My 93 has the somewhat anemic 1.8. However, the engines are virtually identical, just different bore(??) I've had mine for 2 years now and have so far had no problems. My 1.8 FWD (Yes, I said front-wheel-drive.) also gets good mpg.:) Don't get your hopes up for good mpg with a 2.2 AWD though. You just won't get it. Imprezas only had the 1.8 for several years, and I'm not sure when the 2.2 became available, so make sure you get what you want. The engines are pretty much trouble free though. When taken care of they will last many hundreds of thousands of miles.

Um....AWD was an option until '96,so make sure the car has it.

If it's an auto, watch out for torque bind. The 5spd AWD doesn't suffer from this.

Buyers' guides...this board.:brow: We all highly recommend a Subaru. lol.

The best service manual is the factory one, but they are a bit pricey, I believe. I have a Chiltons. I have heard that the Haynes is better. Perhaps both Chiltons and Haynes or the factory service manual.

That's about all I can think of. Again, welcome to the board.

New guy as well.

Found my 99 LOBW by running listings ont AutoTrader.com thru CarFax. Mine showed up on a report as a possible alternative. $5k, stick shift, 145k miles and heated everything. Had to relpace the am/fm/weather cassett and the front door speakers. Foam in the drivers seat and the struts need replacing. Found a CD shop manual on e-Bay for $12.