Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I'm about to happily purchase a blue pearl 5 speed WRX TR. But I also got a few questions as far as what I can do to the car and how.

First off I'd like a boost gauge but refuse to pay nearly $400 to the dealer for something so small. I have a boost/water temp gauge off an 86 SVO mustang I'd like to use- both are electric with the water temp gauge having a water line to it. How would I put this gauge in if I can use it on the TR? I can respond with more info on it if more is needed.

2nd is the cd player. God this stock one sucks- how hard would it be to put in a new one? I'm not looking to put subs or amps or anything of that nature, just an MP3 cd player.

3rd's a bit tricky. For those who don't know about the TR vs WRX, they're indentical in performance but they basicly stripped a WRX of good seats, good cd player, spoiler, fog lamps, ground effects, and reduce the price not even noticebly by $1000. I really liked the WRX seats and would want to switch those in. Why not get a WRX? Cause they only have limited edition ones that are nearly $4000 more then a TR and it would take 3-4 more months for a normal WRX cause subaru had this bright thought that no one wants a normal WRX over a TR so they didn't make too many WRXes(I checked 5 dealers and none had a normal WRX in blue pearl- one had it in grey). Where would I find stock WRX seats and how would I put them in?

4th is what's some good bang for the buck performance items I can add to this already insane beast. I've heard stories that with as little as $700 the HP on this can be raised to 270+ with a bit of tuning.

Welcome :)

I'm sure you will get some useful comments on this board, but I'm going to throw you over to NASIOC which is the North American Subaru Impreza Club. Free to use, and it's where you will find seats for sale as well as a ton of technical information. More specifically, check out the Tri-State Forum since that is where NJ is. We're a good bunch :)

Take care and enjoy the new ride,

Kevin

TR = Tuner Ready. Marketed directly to those that will end up heavily modifying the car. So the TR comes with cheap everything and a reduced price. The evidence is in the number of stock, barely used WRX parts available like wheels & tires in the used classifieds of NASIOC and other Subaru sites. It appears that the majority of WRXs end up losing their stock wheels and radios in the first few months of ownership.

Why not get a WRX? Cause they only have limited edition ones that are nearly $4000 more then a TR and it would take 3-4 more months for a normal WRX cause subaru had this bright thought that no one wants a normal WRX over a TR so they didn't make too many WRXes

Do you need a car right now, as in you're without a ride and it's really that important? If not, why not let your down payment collect interest for 3 months, get the car you actually seem to want instead of the TR and save yourself the hassle of chasing down seats and installing them along with a new stereo? The $1k you'll save over a regular WRX will rapidly vanish once you add on the additional things you're looking for. Just a thought...