Ultimate Subaru Message Board

good price for ea81 engine + other parts? help plz

ok so I came across an ea81 engine, in decent condition but could benefit from a rebuild, also comes with transmission... I'm assuming its a 4speed d/r one cause it came out of an '80 wagon, but i'm not sure. also coming with it is a shop manual for 1980 and a box of various spare parts, nuts/bolts and hoses and a cv boot. he wants $250 for them, for an engine tranny and shop manual it seems reasonable but I'm not sure cause I bought my 81 wagon for $375 and virtually nothing is wrong with it other than it needs a tune up cause it sat for 5 years.

help please... need to know what i should offer him for it. also I dont need a transmission(as far as I know) so if anyone would be interested in that please let me know so I can plan my budget. this is around portland, oregon...

thanks

trevor

also it'd be nice if someone would be willing to come take a look at my rig and help me diagnose anything that might be wrong with the engine, for free since I'm essentially broke... i have yet to run any mmo or seafoam through it, so it might just need a bunch of that and a bunch of carb cleaner and new gas... but I figure I'll need another engine someday or parts for it and I could really use the shop manual..

mm yeah.. I need to clean the engine up a bunch w/ some mmo and some seafoam or something before I make any decisions but I'm just wondering if thats reasonable... as for manuals I'm not sure where to get them tho i never thought about powell so I'll call them tomorrow

thanks

mm yeah.. I need to clean the engine up a bunch w/ some mmo and some seafoam or something before I make any decisions but I'm just wondering if thats reasonable... as for manuals I'm not sure where to get them tho i never thought about powell so I'll call them tomorrow

thanks

Take a look on Ebay for shop manuals . I got mine dead cheap .250 is way too much for an an unknown engine. Hundred bucks is more like it.

Jude

161k... I think I need someone who knows the engine to help me get it running good... but it has this HORRIBLE knock, and I've run mmo and stuff through it twice and changed the oil twice since I got it bout a week ago, and its got all new gas, cleaned out the carb and did the timing(which fixed one of my problems, it was dieseling really bad when i shut it off), but it still has this HORRIBLE knocking or clacking sound sometimes, I put in 20-50 instead of 10-40 the second time and it didnt get any better or worse really. freind says its got a rod on its way out but I dunno doesnt seem likely but it sounds kinda bad.

also its 250 for the engine, transmission, bunch of spare parts, and the shop manual. not just 250 for the engine.

I do know i need some kinda transmission work, I still havent gotten a good look at that so far but it slips out of first whenever its under any kind of load, all the other gears are good but if I put it in first when I go down a hill it will pop out unless I hold it. also does it on HARD acceleration, but usually the wheels start spinning before it pops out of gear