Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Help! Strange surging issue . . .

OK, I fixed my spark plug threads by replacing the passenger side head and gasket and I thought this was the source of my surging problem, but it would appear to still be doing it. It seems to only surge once the car has been warmed up and restarted after about 5 minutes. The surging kicks in at about half throttle and is fine if floored or when driving with light foot, but in between the 2 it starts violently surging. It acts like an igniton or fuel cut and I checked the accelerator pump and it seems to be fine. It almost seems like a thermally activated vacuum leak.

I don't know if this would make a difference or not but the car does not start sometimes just clicks when key is turned. If I take 2 screwdrivers and short the 2 points on the starter, it will turn right over. Obviously there is a wiring issue, but would this make it surge?

Rick

Not sure about your surging issue, but it's not the starter solenoid that's causing it. As far as that goes, you have a couple of options. One is to replace the solenoid. I've never tried that one on a Soob, so I don't even know if it's available. The other is to open it up. You'll find there is a contact that looks like a thick copper washer in the housing and a plunger that makes contact with it. You'll probably also find a buildup of carbon where it's arced over the years. Take a file or some emery cloth and clean it up, and it will be as good as new. Make sure you leave the contact surfaces relatively flat, so they'll make good contact. You might put a thin layer of dielectric grease there, too, as it cuts down on oxidation and carbon buildup.

I believe I have the same problem. Can drive for an hour and all is fine, then turn off the car, restart, then random surging (the car will loose RPMs partly or completely, unless I pump the gas). I though it was a fuel problem, but may be electrical, which you are hinting at. Could it be the Fuel Pump Control Unit that has an odd short causing it to shut down the fuel pump? Its a mystery to me, leaving me with an undrivable car. :banghead:

Let me know if you find a solution.....I'll do the same.

Good luck.

I have no clue as to what it is. It could be an aluminum piece warping, or something odd like that, like maybe the manifold or something.

I hope to have it fuel injected someday, and hopefully this will solve the problem.

I'll let you know if I find anything out though!

Thanks

Rick

I believe I have the same problem. Can drive for an hour and all is fine, then turn off the car, restart, then random surging (the car will loose RPMs partly or completely, unless I pump the gas). I though it was a fuel problem, but may be electrical, which you are hinting at. Could it be the Fuel Pump Control Unit that has an odd short causing it to shut down the fuel pump? Its a mystery to me, leaving me with an undrivable car. :banghead:

Let me know if you find a solution.....I'll do the same.

Good luck.