Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Weird electrical problem on 97 subaru outback

I bought a used 97 subaru legacy outback 2.5L. It must have some weird electrical problems. A couple of things happened last two weeks.

1. I heard some sparkling sound when I drove. The sound is just like the short-circuit sound you can get when u connect two poles of a battery directly and causing sparks. Or it sounds like the sizzling of cobra. This sound is more recognizable when I stepped on the gas pedal.

2. When I stopped the car and tried to close the door. There is some static shot on my hand just like the static that u get in a dry day and when u touch some metals.

3. The battery died once. I probably forgot to close the light the day before. I jump started and it seemed fine after that.

4. The check engine light sometimes came on. But when I turned off the engine and turned it on, sometimes it is just gone. I check the code is p0325, which is knock sensor bad circuit. Since it is not there all the time, i guess there is some bad connection.

5. I also heard something when I made big left turn. However it does not sound the cv joint. I guess somehting is loose there and cause the knock sensor to think itself bad?

6. Recently, I turned it on and all of sudden, nothing happened. I then pulled out the key and tried again, and the car started without any problem. However, the clock is reset just like the battery was disconnected.

ANyone, give me some hint. It looks like more than replacing a battery to me.

Thank you,

stillfox

1. I'd try to locate where that "sparking" sound comes from... might be something as simple as "static" in the speakers, or it could be something more serious, like an electrical connection actually shorting.

2. That happens to me all the time, in just about every car I drive. Wife says it's 'cause I slide my rear along the seat when I get out, instead of standing up "like normal people." *shrug*

3. Might be a good idea to have the battery & alternator tested. Advance Auto will usually do this for free, and they're fairly prevalent in NY (at least 'round the Capital District and the Finger Lake Regions).

4. Bad sensor, bad connection, bad ground? Got me...

5. What's it sound like? Knocking, banging, thumping, "tinkling"?

6. Bad ground?

Just my thoughts...

I bought a used 97 subaru legacy outback 2.5L. It must have some weird electrical problems. A couple of things happened last two weeks.

1. I heard some sparkling sound when I drove. The sound is just like the short-circuit sound you can get when u connect two poles of a battery directly and causing sparks. Or it sounds like the sizzling of cobra. This sound is more recognizable when I stepped on the gas pedal.

2. When I stopped the car and tried to close the door. There is some static shot on my hand just like the static that u get in a dry day and when u touch some metals.

3. The battery died once. I probably forgot to close the light the day before. I jump started and it seemed fine after that.

4. The check engine light sometimes came on. But when I turned off the engine and turned it on, sometimes it is just gone. I check the code is p0325, which is knock sensor bad circuit. Since it is not there all the time, i guess there is some bad connection.

5. I also heard something when I made big left turn. However it does not sound the cv joint. I guess somehting is loose there and cause the knock sensor to think itself bad?

6. Recently, I turned it on and all of sudden, nothing happened. I then pulled out the key and tried again, and the car started without any problem. However, the clock is reset just like the battery was disconnected.

1- ignition noise throuhg the stero maybe? a ground loop in the stero, i know somne had this problem here.

2- NORMAL... some cars do it worse then others. Use the ignition key as a bridge to dishcarge the static elcticity instead of your finger tips. Lower the umidity, more heavier clothing you wear, more likey to get zapped. Tey spraying the car seats with cling free.

3-6 may be related. it could be time for a new battery, but clean all your battery connections first. My guess is the battery is tired.

4- could be the knock sensor starting to go bad. unplug and plug int the sensor that will clean the connector if its dirty.

5- no. Describe the sound and when it happnes better.

nipper