Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I recently had a problem with snow becoming packed along the rear drive shaft and above the exhaust components. I took the car to the dealer since the problem became so bad that the snow had packed its way up to the AT and I could not get the car into park. The dealer techs said that they were shocked at the amount of snow that was packed up in there, and that the HEAT SHIELD was where the problem was. The shield had TORN, and allowed the snow to travel and melt/refreeze often. They sent photos to SUBARU CORP, and are waiting for a reply. Service guys said that this was a desigh flaw and that Subaru will have to address it soon. Just a HEADS-UP.

I recently had a problem with snow becoming packed along the rear drive shaft and above the exhaust components. I took the car to the dealer since the problem became so bad that the snow had packed its way up to the AT and I could not get the car into park. The dealer techs said that they were shocked at the amount of snow that was packed up in there, and that the HEAT SHIELD was where the problem was. The shield had TORN, and allowed the snow to travel and melt/refreeze often. They sent photos to SUBARU CORP, and are waiting for a reply. Service guys said that this was a desigh flaw and that Subaru will have to address it soon. Just a HEADS-UP.

Alias20035 posted this problem with his 2001 Outback I think, so good luck on them fixing it soon. I don't know where Alias20035 is though,( does any body?) he's been gone a long time. Do a search for his posts and you'll see a picture of the same problem. Good luck

1Subaru1

Automatic car wash with chassis wash.

None of us wash our cars often enough in winter anyhow, especially you poor back-easters and mid-westerners that have salt on your roads.

We only have sand out here; I'd rather replace windshields than rocker panels and fenders any day.