Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Mounting depth for door speakers

Hi all,

I'm not going to bother doing any other upgrades since I mostly listen to NPR on my short commute. Even plain speech is getting fuzzy on the stock speakers. Santa tells me I can replace the aging front components in the Subaru this year :)

What's the deepest mounting depth one can get away with for the front doors on a '98 Legacy wagon? The deepest Crutchfield lists is a bit under 2.5".

You should be able to add spacers to increase the depth. I don't really know the exact measurement. But I've got 1" custom wood spacers, and am running infiniti kappa 63.i's in my 90 legacy.

That sounds like a good idea. I eyeballed the stock grills and it looks like there's a gap between it and the speaker cone that would leave some room for spacers if need be. Thanks!

Did you bother adding that Dynamat stuff to the doors? I'm not cranking up the bass here, I suspect it's wasted money for me.

Hi all,

I'm not going to bother doing any other upgrades since I mostly listen to NPR on my short commute. Even plain speech is getting fuzzy on the stock speakers. Santa tells me I can replace the aging front components in the Subaru this year :)

What's the deepest mounting depth one can get away with for the front doors on a '98 Legacy wagon? The deepest Crutchfield lists is a bit under 2.5".

crutchfeild is a great resource for this stufff. They will tell you the dimensions that will fiit in there, as well as what speakers fit.

nipper

That sounds like a good idea. I eyeballed the stock grills and it looks like there's a gap between it and the speaker cone that would leave some room for spacers if need be. Thanks!

Did you bother adding that Dynamat stuff to the doors? I'm not cranking up the bass here, I suspect it's wasted money for me.

Originally I didn't. Two years ago or so I redid the wiring, and decided to just put a small square bit of dynamat where the speaker mounts to the door.

Dynamat really only helps with rattles by lowering the resonant frequency. I was looking for more road noise quieting, because of that I just put the dynamat around the speaker. As for things being any quieter or better....I don't know.

Here's some pics

http://www.main.experiencetherave.com:8080/subaru/images/stereorewire/

Hey all, while we're discussing speakers, how do I remove the cover over the tweeter in the corner of the window? I want to check the mounting of the tweeter before I invest in a new set.

It just pops off, They are mountes on rubber gromits.

nipper

Ok, one more question: I've yanked the part from the door. It looks like I can just unscrew the tweeter from its mounting plate and toss it. After looking at some aftermarket install manuals, it looks like the surface mount cups need just one screw, how convenient.

So, what size tweeter will mount there? 1" or 1/2"? I was thinking of a set of Crystal CPE60's, which use a 1/2" tweeter. At 2.5", they'll either just fit in the door or I'll need a thin spacer. Thanks!