Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Power Outlet Problems / Photos added

Hello,

I've got a power outlet on our 2000 OBW that isn't working.

We got the car about a week ago (first Sub) and I poked around a bit to see if it was the fuse, or something that I could easily fix.

the fuse looked good (if the manual was right about it's location, and the installer actually used that circuit) and so I'm wondering where the black and red wires connect, so I can see if they are actually connected to somethng on the other end.

Also, if anyone has any instructions to installing one of these, could you post them? Maybe the previous installer didn't read them, and it's something I could notice by reading the instructions.

Thanks for your help.

I would purchase a test light probe if you don't have one so you can actually see if there is voltage getting to the circuit. If the outlet really is tied to the place you said it is and there is power through the fuse then either the wire to the outlet is open or the ground wire is open or, the outlet is defective.

Well, I'm pretty sure there is no power getting to the outlet ends of the wires. No sparks, no lights, no love.

I'm trying to avoid tracing these wires (the ends that are connected to the additional outlet) to where ever they connect. If someone can tell me where they are supposed to end up, I can check to see if they are in fact ending up there.

Thanks

Pictures are worth a lot. so here we go

I removed the couling in the center, and found this little junction box. It's got 4 wires coming to it, plus one that doesn't...read on.

Red1: Blue junction box to Outlet

Red2: Blue box to ?

Thin Black: Blue box to Grounding screw

Thick Black: Grounding screw to outlet

Green: Blue Box to ?

I found the fuse labeled Power Outlet / Heated Seats, checked it, and it's not blown.

With my multimeter, I checked several different options with the Blue Box, and none had any voltage to them. Red and Green, Red and black. red and my nose... nothing

I unpluged the blue Box, and heard a thump. I thought i blew a fuse, but after checking, it was fine. Plugged the blue box back in, heard same thump. Figured out it was comming from the speakers. With the radio off, no thump.

So i'm wondering where do I go from here? What info would help more?

Thanks

Oh, what's the blue box, and the thing it's plugging into. a relay? if it is, i wonder how to turn it on?

block.jpg

The smaller green wire leaving goes to the Cigarette lighter in the dashboard. This hooks to the coil on the relay that you are seeing in the picture. The large Red wire coming to the relay should run directly to the battery thru an inline fuse. This is probably under the hood.

If you have no power at any wires, I would start with the larger red wire first. The smaller green wire should only have power when the key is in the Acc position.

Hope this helps........