Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Ipod mod with 2000 OBW and Tapedeck

If you've seen a couple of my other posts this loosly ties in with them.

I wanted a more elegant solution for my ipod than just tossing it in a cup holder. I know there a lot of iPod options with FM and hacking into the back of your radio, but this seemed easy enough, and didn't cost me anything extra.

First I had to notch a bit into the power outlet cover. I figured I could get another one if I stuffed it up.

I removed the center cowling, routed the wires for the belkin autocharger and the tape adapter up to the front.

Once I got to the front, the tape adapter cord went behind the trim, and came out to the right of the tape deck.

The belkin came to the left, and out behind the coin tray thingy (behind the shifter) then connected to the iPod.

To mount it, I used my Belkin Tunedok (nifty holder) and cut the cupholder thing that comes with it. I messed up a tad with the cut, and it was a little loose. but I "shimmed" it up with the peices I cut off, and now it's pretty sturdy, yet removeable.

Since the power to the power outlet is cut when the key is off, I don't have to pause my music / book when I shut the car off. I do have to start the music again though. No prob.

I chould have used the power adapter at the front, but I would have had a lot of cables to manage, and this seem a little better.

Here are a few photos

Image-BE0549656F2511DA.jpg

You can see kinda how the tape adapter is routed.

Image-BE05849C6F2511DA.jpg

Image-BE055BAC6F2511DA.jpg

Image-BE0572106F2511DA.jpg

Nice clean looking install, and simple too. You could also splice the power adapter into a switched 12v wire, like the one for the ligher. Thats what I did with my Sirius install and someday I've got to figure out something better for the iPod then the FM transmitter. I'll post pics of the sirius someday.

Nice clean looking install, and simple too. You could also splice the power adapter into a switched 12v wire, like the one for the ligher. Thats what I did with my Sirius install and someday I've got to figure out something better for the iPod then the FM transmitter. I'll post pics of the sirius someday.

Thanks!

I thought about splicing the 12v in line with the Belkin adapter, but it also has a small amp in it, as well as the line out for the ipod. So i figured it was easier to just let it stay there.

but I did consider putting the Power Outlet in the center armrest console, so it wouldn't be poking out there, but I didn't have a cover for for the hole where it is now.