Ultimate Subaru Message Board

CD Player error in '01 Legacy..

Hey guys,

I wasn't sure where to post this but maybe you guys could help me out.

My CD player is not co-operating with me anymore, anytime that I put a CD in (burnt or original), the player will attempt to read it for a good 4-5 seconds, and it will then spit out the CD.

I have the factory CD player with the WB/CD/AM-FM/Tape combo, and was just curious to know if anyone has seen a similar problem or may know of any ways of fixing the problem without actually replacing the unit.

Welcome to the wonderful world of Subaru cd players. Mine went out doing the same thing. Dealer told me to replace it at Circuit City, etc. It seems that quite a few people had the same problem with their cd players (per dealer). Good luck with it.

I have an aftermarket CD player in my 99 Forester and have the same problem. I travel about 10 miles per day on a gravel road with plenty of limestone dust. It seems the dust builds up inside the player and prevents it from properly spinning the disc. When mine spits out the disk the label is in exactly the same place as when I put it in the player indicating it is not spinning.

CD cleaning discs don't help, neither does spraying the inside of the unit with canned air. I have opened it up and cleaned the disc mechanisim a few times but that only helps for a month or two.

I am now considering buying and I-Pod, transferring my mixed CDs to the I-Pod and playing it through my car stereo with an FM transmitter. I am in the process of researching this method.

Would appreciate any advice either on a fix for the CD player, or using and I-Pod through the car stereo

I used to have great luck with Sonys on cross country busses that played heck out of them. I did it a couple of years ago so my stuff is history now.

I was just messing with Ipods a bit and if you can afford it they are the way to go. There are several devices available to play them through an existing stereo wirelessly. I am pretty sure there are also Ipod ready stereos.

We were just having a problem over Xmas as we were trying to adapt the new video Ipod to work wirelessly in an after market stereo in a Toyota. It turns out here are several Ipod models (all you young folks knew that right?) and you have to be very sure that the adapter and Ipod will work together. In our case they didn't work so there is more to come on this story.

The good part is the Sony in my car does not skip, only cost about $150,a only takes half the space. It has an OK FM too, but as I say there are much better units on the market now.