Ultimate Subaru Message Board

engine won't turn HELP!!!

when the car is turned to on all engine check and lights are on but when i go to turn the engine on there is no firing and at the battery there are sparks we have tried the leads both ways an it does not seem to make a diffrince. also the the car is turned all the way on(trying to start) and the windsheild wipers start to go when they are turned off. i don't know what to look for any help would be nice. thanks

When I swaped intakes I got water in the heads, and It wouden't turn over. It was like the pisten just stoped. I solved it by turning the crank backwards. it woulden't go forward. it gave the engine some momentome to work past the point at which it stoped.) Not smart of me I know but it worked.

when the car is turned to on all engine check and lights are on but when i go to turn the engine on there is no firing and at the battery there are sparks we have tried the leads both ways an it does not seem to make a diffrince. also the the car is turned all the way on(trying to start) and the windsheild wipers start to go when they are turned off. i don't know what to look for any help would be nice. thanks

So, the starter is not rotating the engine when you turn the key to "start"? And you are getting sparks from the battery terminals? If this is correct, first thing is that it sounds like you have a bad connection at the battery terminals. Clean the terminals, clean or replace the battery cables, clean the connections at the OTHER end of the battery cable (near/on the starter).

I agree with NorthWet. You either have a battery with broken post connections or the cables are bad. You need to see where the sparks are coming from but this is dangerous being near the battery. It could explode if the battery has gas vapors coming from inside it. You should be able to see where the sparks came from and go from there.

Hopefully you didn't reverse the polarity when you stated you swapped the leads. That could cause other problems.

Also, if your wipers are turning on by themselves it is usually a sign of the system voltage being too high. If this is happening while you are charging the battery or trying to jump start it from a charger, it is an indication that your battery connection is not good; if it is happening *while the engine is running* it is a sign that your battery connection is not good and the alternator is going CRAZY trying to charge the battery. Either way, it points to the same cauyse and can cause severe (read EXPENSIVE) damage to electricals (alternator, ECU, distributor).

I assume you are talking about the battery leads. The black lead should go to the engine block and this would be the negative or ground lead. Most ground wires are black in color.

so how do i figure out which lead goes to which side one is black and one is yellow.