Ultimate Subaru Message Board

stripped spark plug

hey I got a 86 dl i just bought, went to do a tune up and found besides the fact that the electroids on the plugs were completely gone that my number 4 cyclinder hole was stripped, does anybody got any ideas, helicoil????? or try to find a new head, tried a thread chaser and car would barely start when i got it all put back together and exhuasted vapors out that cyclinder.

Had the same thing happen to my brat. I tried a helicoil, and it still didn't hold, but I found out later, that I was supposed to lube the helicoil before putting it in the head......OOPS!!!!!

Helicoils kinda suck, and if you can get a head, I would go that route.

Rick

well the hole is already fuct, so take a new plug, bung the threads up on the spark plug, put it back in the hole with a socket and extention on hit and turn it by hand and when it stops, hit the back of the extention with a hammer and then turn it some more. keep doing that until it gets in a turn or two with hammering and turning.

It will work. I blew out my #4 spark plug 2 months ago in the middle of the night. -30F outside and my girlfriend was with me. No way in hell I was gonna call someone or walk, so I did what I explained above. Car is still driving and has full power.

If it doesnt work, then you can replace the head.

Helicoils do work, but only if they are installed correctly. There is a Heli-Coil brand kit to do it right. However it costs too much for most people. I have it because I use it a lot at work. So the best thing to do is find someone who has the kit and have them install a Heli-Coil of the right length. It can be done without removing the head.