Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I am in the middle of replacing my timing belt, and the last time it was done on my car they did not put the timing belt guard back on, so it is not there.

Is this really necessary?

I know these are only on manual cars, and I have not had it on mine for the last 60k but wanted to know anyone’s thoughts on this.

Do I have to have it since autos do not?

The gaurd is there to prevent the belt from loosening and potentially jumping out of time, if the the engine is forced to rotate backwards (e.g., if the car rolls backwards in a forward gear with the engine off). (This will happen only with a manual). I would advise replacing it to be safe. -- George

I think he is not Josh. There was a little guard on some manual models that I understood was to keep you from jumping timeing on sudden engine speed changes or the back force when the manual does engine braking. The fact that Subaru fitted a fix for this means somebodty had trouble with it.

If I had it or could get it easily I would put it on, especially for high performance use.

the only thing i see that can be as described is quite possibly the

tensioner bracket/cover

if you dont have this, you'd best get one.

to confirm...

go here:

https://www.subarugenuineparts.com/oe_parts_cat.html

look up by part number - - 13156aa051

I believe that to be the piece that's being described here.

Jamie Thomas

Jamie at chaplins.com

logo.gif

http://www.subiegal.com

Don't tell me Canadians recognise the new year? When I lived in Maine St. George was the place to go for New Years. I remember a nice policeman driving me around the day after trying to find which bar parking lot I had left my car in.

Over here the cop would just tell you to get lost with your hangover. Happy New year to you and yours, and glad to hear things are well with your mate.

I think he is not Josh. There was a little guard on some manual models that I understood was to keep you from jumping timeing on sudden engine speed changes or the back force when the manual does engine braking. The fact that Subaru fitted a fix for this means somebodty had trouble with it.

If I had it or could get it easily I would put it on, especially for high performance use.

That is the one, I tried to get one from the junk yard but looks like older 2.2 do not have them?? I ended up just putting it back together and will live dangerously!! :brow:

I figure since older 2.2 and auto do not have this, I can live without it.

I am in the middle of replacing my timing belt, and the last time it was done on my car they did not put the timing belt guard back on, so it is not there.

Is this really necessary?

I know these are only on manual cars, and I have not had it on mine for the last 60k but wanted to know anyone’s thoughts on this.

Do I have to have it since autos do not?

Leave the guard off. It can actually do more harm than good. If it is not set up correctly the belt will rub against the gaurd. Then you will really have a nightmare on your hands. Take care.

I see no mention of anything like this for the first gen legacies/2.2.

It may be on the 2.2 single exhaust port models, but there's nothing about it on the older 2.2's.

Has anyone seen this fix/bracket on a first gen legacy?

Jamie, any chance of getting a diagram/pic of what the piece looks like? What's the model & year application for that part?